New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which primer to use ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Started to load some .358 win yesterday and I noticed some previously primed brass had a silver colored primer the ones I primed with WWlarge rifle had a copper color. I thought I had used the same in all loads.

Anyway, which primer is best for standard loads (usually compressed) CCI, WW, or Remington. I want one that will go boom every time,and ingnight the compressed charge without increasing pressures. Do I need a magnum primer ?

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much any box of new primers will go boom every time. You don't need a magnum primer for that cartridge but I doubt it would hurt if you start the load development process using published load data from a load book. Start on the low end and work up and watch for pressure signs.

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Maybe the other cases were primed with the older WLR's? W-W's were a silver color for as long as I can remember (from when they were called 81/2-120's) until a couple years ago, they changed to a copper'ish color.

I've had the best luck in my 358 with CCI-200's, the only rifle I have using LR primers that prefers CCI's. Try a couple different brands, preferrably with a starting load, then stick with whatever one performs best for your remaining load workups.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Winchester WLR primer is what worked best for me.

As for the color of the primer, old WW primers were silver, new ones are copper.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Winchester WLR

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've long used nothing but CCI primers, with perfectly satisfactory results.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload for 11 different calibers and use them all, rarely noticing any difference. One year I loaded up quite
a few different rounds with the only variable being the primer. It there's a difference it escapes me. There
are probably several different opinions on this, but I don't think any of them are definitive.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote