New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Neck turning equipment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have one gun, 243 single shot, that seems to have a tight chamber at the neck. After shooting, I can not easily slide a bullet into the neck. So I am thinking that thinning the necks a little will allow some room for expansion. This is with both factory loads and new winchester brass.

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yikes,

A few bad experiences with the 2 lower cost options, Forster hand held and Lyman.

But, I use a Lee Anniversary Kit and collet dies (without failure) for reloading, so the utmost in cost/quality is not the highest priority.

EBAY has the Forster handheld frequently, do these wear out easily?

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

yikes,

A few bad experiences with the 2 lower cost options, Forster hand held and Lyman.

But, I use a Lee Anniversary Kit and collet dies (without failure) for reloading, so the utmost in cost/quality is not the highest priority.

EBAY has the Forster handheld frequently, do these wear out easily?

I think the cutter on the Forster handheld is tungsten carbide, so it will stay sharp for a long time.

If you're not a serious benchrest shooter who is really fussy then it is a good choice for small batches of cases. For larger batches I power the process using the shellholder from the Lee case trimmer. For really big batches you'd want a bench mounted unit. A unit that can trim and/or neck turn may be economical.

I like Lee equipment. I really like the look of their new press. But I also like Forster and Redding. I don't like RCBS as much as I used to. So much to choose from...

Good luck

Ben

Posts: 96 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Just as long as you stay away from the Forster handheld. My case holder lasted 3 cases.... HTH, Dutch.

G'day Dutch

How did you bust it?!?

I prefer to power my neck turning when using the Forster handheld by using the shellholder from a Lee trimmer (I use the Forster benchmount for trimming). But when I neck turn by hand I have no problem with the case holder.

Sometimes I use the neck turning tool that attaches to my benchmounted Forster. Just a case of whatever I feel like. I like them both.

Did you get a badly made case holder or what?

Regards

Ben

Posts: 96 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman setup works well for me.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote