Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with 260 rem load
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Tikka Stainless lamnated in 260 remington with a 22 7/16 barrel, im wanting to reload with some new bullets, Hornady Amax 140 grain, and some new Nosler 142 Grain accubond longrange, Im going to be using some H 4350 powder, I would like to get 2700 fps minimum, any ideas on a weight charge to start out with based on some possible experience, thanks for any help. William

MONTANA,where the men are men and so arent the women!!

Posts: 11 | Location: KALISPELL MONTANA | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go buy a couple loading manuals, look on the net under hodgons, hornady etc they will have all the info you will need.but go get a couple manuals. DO NOT rely on individuals information

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I second butchloc's advice.
All you need is for some yahoo to do a miss print.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As posted, don't try to short cut the learning curve. Get a couple of reloading manuals and read them cover to cover. You'll learn a lot of generic stuff and they are interesting reading.
When I have a new to me rifle, the first thing I do is research it in a couple or more books and see what they have to say.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
possible experience,

2700 f/s is a max for H4350 with 140gr bullets.
start low and work up
starting load would be about 39.5 grains.
I also go with the other handloaders get the books.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also go with the other handloaders get the books.

get at least 2 books
H4350 is good powder choice

HODGDON WEB SITE..
START LOW WORK UP

140 GR. NOS PART
Manufacturer Hodgdon Powder H4350 Bullet Diameter .264" C.O.L. 2.780" Starting Load Grains 39.0 Velocity (ft/s) 2,530 Maximum Load Grains 42.0 Velocity (ft/s) 2,677

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to get 2700 fps minimum, any ideas on a weight charge to start out with based on some possible experience, thanks for any help. William

Most of us here have found book velocities are over stated very few rifles that I own meet book.

The best way to ruin a great kill every thing rifle is to chronograph it.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend against using the A Max on game. I know some do, but it was designed as a target bullet. I had one pencil right through a ram. I was very lucky to retrieve the trophy. Hornaday, unlike Sierra, is not forthright in telling users this.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote