Find
Notify
Tools

Shooters Talk website
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted
Does anyone know what happened to Shooters website. The last I heard, they were moving, but now I can't find them on the web. Did they close?

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
If your talking about Shooters. com, they went belly up. It was the talk for months, they finally did it. They went on a big "banning spree" a few years back, and look where they are now. Just shows you where censorship will get you. Bill T.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
That's not quite right. Shooters.com went TU, but a different group moved talk.shooters to a different entity. It ran for a while, and then vaporized. I, too, wish I knew what happened.

Talk.shooters was a very small part of Shooters.com, while it ran. I was there for the banning episode, and most of those people had it coming... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
I did hate to lose touch with the better posters that were regulars at Shooters.com. Particularly those on the Rimfire forum.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I used to hang out there years ago. I heard the entire story but I've forgotten it now. Seems the site was closely affiliated with one of the gun manufactureres. (Remington?) After those issues arose with all the banning, the involved entity bailed out and didn't want to be connected with that type of thing because it was bad for their image. They changed the server and the format after the old posters were gone and I suppose the succeeding operator just couldn't make it without the sponsorship of the "name". Many of the posters originally gravitated to HuntAmerica, and later here and 24 Hour Campfire.

These sites are like parties. People keep showing up, it gets going good for a while then people start losing interest and leaving. And then the party is over, things starts slowing down, the doors close and the party starts some other place. I've seen it over and over again.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very true. As Ricochet, I was a long time on-and-off member of the Shooters forums. (Since about '95 or '96, I think. Hard to remember back that far.) I'd periodically get disgusted at the nasty behavior of some of the regulars, who were incredibly full of themselves and gratuitously ugly to anyone they thought less knowledgeable than themselves or who had a different opinion on some point. I'd get tired of it, stay away for a while, and eventually drift back on to check it out later. (There were lots of great folks on there, too, some of whom I've continued long term friendships with. Some of them got pretty disgusted at some of the shenanigans, too.) I wasn't aware of the banning episode and don't know what it was about, but there were folks on there who should've been thrown out long before. Huntamerica's got some of the assholes on the forums now. It's not nearly as friendly, helpful and useful an environment as it was in the beginning.

I'm not naming any names, but if you think I might mean you, you're probably right.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote