Notify
Tools

Chronographs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaulS:
There is more error introduced in your chronograph readings by the changing position of the sun and clouds than you can get by "introducing errors with angular shots over the screens. Add in temperature changes and you have only a close approximation of your true velocity.

The chronographs use by the manufacturers of ammunition are in a temperature controlled environment with artificial lighting to measure velocities with at least a constant error.

Paul: I can certainly see how a change in the position of the light source will alter the location at which the sensor is triggered by the bullet, but if using natural light for a string of shots, the shooting will be done before the sun can have moved any significant distance. Besides, the angle of the sun should effect both sensors similarly, so there should be no net change of sensing distance with changes in light angles, correct?

I have never noticed temperature coming into play insofar as chronograph readings, other, of course, than warmer powder generally results in higher pressures and velocities, but that has nothing to do with the accuracy of the chronograph itself. Can you explain how temperature variations cause a chronograph to read identical velocities differently? The chips are usually speced to generate exactly 1mm cps within an operating range of 0 to 45 or so Centigrade. Is there a problem with the counter? Or does the mounting rod for the sensors grow or shrink enough with temperature changes that it introduces a spacing error?

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the Chrony first came out, I got one. (the same one I'm using now) At that time, iirc, the 35 cost around $800. That's 1960 dollars. compared to $100 for the Chrony. The shooting club I belonged to had a 35. And one of the other members had a Pact (I think it was) For the hell of it, we proofed them against one another. We would set up two of the chronies in tandem and fire 5 shot groups through them. Then we would reverse the tandem and shoot 5 more shots. There was less than 10fps difference between the chrony readings regardless of the set up. With the chrony closest to the rifle usually being 1 or 2 feet faster.
As I recall, we didn't drop any shots with any of the chronies. Truth be told, over the years, I can't recall dropping that many shots. Certainly not enough to justify spending several hundred dollars more for a higher priced chrony.
What sort of reloading do you do that needs such a precise level of exactness?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of 1,000 yard F class shooting so I need ammunition with the lowest SD possible.

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
The "guts" (the 1 megahertz chip and counter) are all pretty much the same in both the cheapest and the most expensive machines,.....

I'm a little confused by this, the new CED chrono advertises a 48MHz processor. Is this different from a 1MHz chip?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
Want the best crony available hands down..?

This is unreal and not to expensive. Saw it at the shot show this year and ordered one. They're due to be out in a few weeks.

Check it out: http://www.mylabradar.com/

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those were supposed to be out this spring. I am on their list, it will be interesting to see what they sell for.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
Piling on . . . I have a Chrony that works well. They occasionally go on sale. Just be careful of which model (to get the features you want/need).

NRA Endowment Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 519 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WhatThe:

This is unreal and not to expensive. Saw it at the shot show this year and ordered one. They're due to be out in a few weeks.

Although it could be great, how do you know it's the best if it has not been made yet and tested by someone other than the manufacturer?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I've used my MagnetoSpeed twice. It doesn't require any screens or lighting. It clamps to the barrel. It works for me.

I don't own a place to shoot so I'm at a public range. There NO way I'd be able to setup those tripod units on the weekend.

There you have it. That will be my next chrono. My Pro Chrono has served me me well but the physics behind this easy to use chrono can't be overlooked.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Attaching any type of weight to the end of a barrel changes barrel harmonics and can potentially change POI and accuracy. While the units are fairly accurate and very convenient, it adds another variable to the accuracy quest.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Attaching any type of weight to the end of a barrel changes barrel harmonics and can potentially change POI and accuracy. While the units are fairly accurate and very convenient, it adds another variable to the accuracy quest.

Alas, but most folks won't be using it for any of the testing or accuracy, that is already done, and are then only interested in the velocity. The Magneto is the way to go with no disruption to any range or other shooters as you have all you need right at the bench.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To each his own but i'd rather do business with a US company(Oehler) than see my money go to communist china, same reason I don't shop at wal mart.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I was doing a little research myself after getting tired and frustrated with the two chronographs I have now: CED and a Shooting Chrony.

I ran upon this and found it to be interesting.

http://www.longrangeonly.com/s...eed-and-Super-Chrono

In the meantime, I too am waiting for the LabRadar model to come out to see if it will be worth all the hype.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More nice things about the LabRadar are:

Nothing in front of the firing line to be shot or to inconvenience other shooters by having to call the line cold.

Nothing to hang on the barrel (like the Magnetospeed) which may change point of impact or be impossible on some guns.

Not sensitive to lighting conditions.

It can clock your bullet not only close to the muzzle, but at 4 more distances, out to a maximum of 100 yards. Allows you to see velocity drop of each shot over distance to compare to the published charts.

Disadvantage: Over $500 purchase price..

I have an idea for a different solution to the "I don't want to have to go out in front of my shooting position in order to set up" question and "sensitive to lighting conditions" problem(s). Look for my post in a new thread entitled, "New concept for a Chronograph"

Regards to all

Lost Sheep

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Chrony Beta! It has served me well for years!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Magnetospeed V3

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have tested my under $100 Chrony against my Oehler 35 and they registered within 20-40 fps of each other. That is simply not enough difference in the context of the reloading that I do to warrant messing with all the extra time and aggravation of setting up the Oehler. The Chrony is up and working in a couple of minutes. The Oehler you have multiple tripods, wires going everywhere, sky screens that are a pain. I can understand why some might need the extra precision but my bet is that a Chrony is good for 90%+ of all reloaders.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I just got one of these;
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...cm_vc=ProductFinding

I really like it. Big Grin

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WhatThe:

THIS LOOKS LIKE A REAL STEP FORWARD! Has anyone posting here used one?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please let us know when it arrives. They were promised by late Spring, but that was delayed. The last delay was due to an illness of one of the design/production team members, so as of my last information they are still vaporware.

But the thing that keeps me from ordering one right now is the price. Last prediction was $550.

That may seem like a lot, but for something that will not only give muzzle velocity, but belocity at 100 yards ON THE SAME BULLET (as well as three other distances, for a total of 5 speed measurements) would be well worth it for some riflemen. For handgunners like me, not so much.

Lost Sheep

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
How does the chronograph distinguish readings from your bullets vs. a person near by? (public shooting range or shooting partner)

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They say they are well beyond beta testing - release may be soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
post by Kenati
How does the chronograph distinguish readings from your bullets vs. a person near by? (public shooting range or shooting partner)

As I understand it, immediately after a gunshot is heard by the machine, it records whatever it detects within its field of vision. Presumably, no stray bullets are crossing into your lane of fire. If no bullet is seen, the chronograph (here, I am supposing) will stop trying to read after a short time.

Lost Sheep