Find
Notify
Tools

What powder for the 6mm AI?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I will be shooting 75-105 grain bullets, what powder do you suggest for maximum velocity and accuracy. Might as well use the AI to it's full potential.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Where at in Big MO?

Been awhile since I loaded for a 6mmAI. When I did it was a deer rifle. I loaded 100s long (around 3"OAL) and used Norma MRP (basically RL-22)

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Where at in Big MO?

Been awhile since I loaded for a 6mmAI. When I did it was a deer rifle. I loaded 100s long (around 3"OAL) and used Norma MRP (basically RL-22)

DP 85, popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Around Columbia. More like Kingdom City, actually in an even smaller town, but if you aren't from around here the name Auxvasse is unfamiliar and never pronounced right. Wink

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well Tyler I really hate to burst your bubble. But since I grew up in Mexico worked and rabbit hunted on several farms just North & West of Auxvasse so I do know how to pronounce it. WinkMatter of fact I drive through there a couple times a year to see my mom who still lives in Mexico. Graduated in 68 went to Rolla then moved to West Texas and points beyond. Bought my first shotgun from Grafs when they were in their orginal building. Have two step daughters in Columbia one in school one just out.

As they say small world.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's pretty crazy. Ever go to graf's? They have some stuff sitting in their retail stores that haven't been marked up in a long time. Namely bullets, I got a box of amaxes for just $15, now they are almost $30.

I lived in Canyon near Amarillo about 12 years ago for a couple years when I was 4-6.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Tyler I shoot a 1 in 8 twist 6 Rem and use IMR 4831 with 107's. In my 6/284 I also use the IMR 4831 or the 7828 which is slightly slower. The H4831SC might be the very best starting point for your needs.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Starting powder weight for the H4831? Max?

I'm relatively new to reloading, so I'm not good at drawing my own conclusions about things/

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post

I'm relatively new to reloading, so I'm not good at drawing my own conclusions about things.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
max load for my 244 ai (1-12 twist) with 87 gr bullets,of IMR 4831 is 50 grains.you probably wont get that much because of your faster twist.Work up!!mine also likes 4350.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, that's pretty crazy. Ever go to graf's? They have some stuff sitting in their retail stores that haven't been marked up in a long time. Namely bullets, I got a box of amaxes for just $15, now they are almost $30

I think I have only been in the new Mexico store twice. Once I picked up 6 boxes of 358 Norma ammo on closeout for $22/box. I did hit the store in St Charles often as my new wife was from that area and I flew up every other weekend for a couple years.

Now my old boss(FFL) and I place an oder when I'm going up. I pick it up. Usually powder allows us to buy smaller quantities.

I have no data for 4831. Steve's shows:
IMR-4831 From 42.7 grains to 48.2 grains
http://stevespages.com/243_31_107.html

Mike J will give you more than you want to know.
http://www.angelfire.com/sd/6mmackley/

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:

I'm relatively new to reloading, so I'm not good at drawing my own conclusions about things.

Tyler, this depends upon the bullet weight and your twist rate and custom chamber dimensions. Best advice would be to start with a middle of the road STANDARD 6 Remington load and add a 1/2 grain, add 1/2 grain one cartridge at a time keeping an eye for pressure or stiff bolt lift. Saves alot of time, and may show a preference or workable area. Interpolation is an art form with a science base that can get you in pressure trouble. I am sure you love the new rifle, so don't hurt it or yourself.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote