New
Find
Notify
Tools

7X61 S&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering if anyone knows what a 7X61 sharp and heart is, and where i could find some info on it? Any help would be app.

Thanks

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Sure, what do you want to know?

By the way, it is the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart (alson know as the 7x61 Super).

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a short magnum on the standard belted case with very little body taper and a very sharp shoulder (about 40-45% I think). It was a wildcat designed by Phil Sharpe and (?)Hart and standardized by Norma, sometimes called the 7mm Norma Magnum. It was factory chambered in the very nice Danish-made Schulz and Larsen rear-locking bolt rifle. It measures about an eighth of an inch shorter than the 7mm Remington-338 Winchester-.308 Norma case. Performance identical or better than the 7mm Rem in factory loads, and just shy of it in handloads.

I can't remember any other factory rifles other than the S & L it was chambered in, but if you come across an S & L in this caliber (or any other), it would be a bargain at Remington-Ruger prices.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The case actually has a bit more taper than the Rem Mag for instance but does have a very sharp shoulder. It is quite similar in appearance to the 275 H&H. I kind of like the cartridge and have considered building one for myself but probably never will! From a practical standpoint the 7 Rem makes more sense if one wants a magnum. The 280 is probably more sensible yet! regards, Bill

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ricciardelli, everyone.

I guess i would like to know as much as i can. My uncle has one of these rifles and was asking me about it, but i have never heard of it. He says he can't get ammo for it anymore, and was asking me if i could find some info.

Can I get brass or factory loads for it?

Can i make brass out of other cases?

Would it require a european .285 or american .284 bullet?

If it is .285, will .284 work?

Would the rifle have any value at all, or would it be better to rechamber, and if so, what are my options?

Im just trying to find out as much as i can about a rifle i havn't even seen yet. All i know is that he bought it used in the early 70's and that it is a factory chambered round. I am going to look at it, and see what options i can give him, and if it is something kinda different, but a pain to deal with, i might work a trade with him for a 7mm remington. He doesn't want to reload, and i don't to reload for other people(especially family).

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Q. I guess i would like to know as much as i can. My uncle has one of these rifles and was asking me about it, but i have never heard of it. He says he can't get ammo for it anymore, and was asking me if i could find some info.

A. The 7x61 was eveloped in the US by Phillip Sharpe and Richard Hart. It was based on the French 7mm semi-auto military cartridge. It was made available in the Schultz & Larson rifle in 1953. The final version of the cartridge had a belted case and had "Super" added to it's name. It was originally loaded with a 160 grain bullet. It is very similar to the .275 H&H Magnum. It can be listed in the short 7mm magnum class. It is a good cartridge for for any North American game animal and most African plains game.

Q. Can I get brass or factory loads for it?

A. Brass is availble from Norma. Loaded ammo is available from Norma.

Q. Can i make brass out of other cases?

A. Not very easily.

Q. Would it require a european .285 or American .284 bullet?

A. .284

Q. Would the rifle have any value at all, or would it be better to rechamber, and if so, what are my options?

A. I would imagine that yuou have an S&L Model 54J. If it is in excellent condition it could be worth around $600 to $650 to the right person.

Loading data can be found at http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mads>
posted
I once had one! Unfortunatly I was only 18 and had not started reloading!

The barrel was very poor - it could shoot two or three shots and then make a flier - even if teh barrel was cooled between shots.

A good freind of mine loaded for it - and we found out that 150 grains partition made the best groups.

I shot four roe bucks and a wild boar with the rifle - but then rebarreled for .300 win! I regred it alot today. What I should have done was to rebarrel for 7x61 S&H instead - but some day I think I will!

I don't know if teh brass could be form for anyother brass easily, but sure it can be made from any other .375 H&H based cartdrige. If I had a die I would try 7mm rem og 264 win first!

Regards

Mads

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used 7 x 61 built on a Browning FN action a year ago, I had to get a die from CH which was a pain but this a cartidge that has a lot going for it over the 7mm Rem.
Firstly, it very efficient, I get over 3000f/s in 160 gr Partitions with 5 grains less 4831 than the Rem. By the way, I have never attained 3000/160 gr in the Rem 7.
Secondly, the slightly shorter case means that bullets can be seated out further, better accuracy and more velocity. You can trim 7 mag cases and then anneal and form into perfectly useful cases. not that hard really. With the die and 10$ of TLC on refinishing the stock I have a super open country rifle for 500$ Can/300US
BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a Schultz & Larsen M65 in 7x61 S&H at a gunshow last weekend.$700 CDN I believe.I recently sold a S&L M65DL in 308 Norma which was also avaliable in 7x61. Nice rifle and a bit unique.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote