Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 centerfire for deer (ad nauseum)
 Login/Join

posted
.... I'm not up on which .22 cal bullet would be tough enough to use on deer... This would more than likely be out of a .233... possibly a .222 Rem... I'm thinking nothing larger than 60gr... 50-55 would be better. I think Nosler makes a partition at 60gr... and Barnse makes the X at 55? gr or so.... any other ideas?

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of NorthTexan
posted Hide Post
I loaded some Barnes Triple Shocks in my .223 about a week ago. I filled a large cardboard box full of dirt and shot into it to see how much penetration I could get. I also wanted to see if they expanded like they were supposed to. Each bullet penetrated about ten inches. They all performed as advertised and weighed the same as they did when they were loaded. I think they are 53 gr. if I remember correctly. If I were going to use my .223 on a deer or hogs, that's what I would use.

Posts: 32 | Location: Woodson, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
They make a trophy bonded bear claw in 22 now, 55 grains. If I HAD to, I'd probably use that but your hornet probably has too slow a twist in the barrel for 55 grains. Smiler

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Among the conventional .224 bullets, the regular Hornady 55 SP (and the 60 grain Hornady SP) have a reputation for holding together pretty well on deer-sized game. I bought some of a production overrun of the 60 grain Hornady "Barrier" bullet (presumably made for police work) that is said to be a deep penetrator, but I haven't had an opportunity to test it.

The 64 grain Winchester-Western is listed as a "deer" bullet. Years ago I used a 63 grain Sierra Semi-Pointed on deer with satisfactory results. The old 55 grain Nosler Zippedo was a great game bullet, but they're essentially a collector's item now.

But I have a friend who shoots deer straight through the thorax with "varmint" bullets like the Sierra 55 and never seems to loose a deer, so I'm not sure that anything else is really that necessary, so long as you're talking about smallish whitetails.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I've taken East Texas deer (90-120lb range) with Win 64gr PP and Speer 70gr sp.
All shots were between 50 and 80 yards behind the shoulder.
Both types of bullets completely penetrated and the deer dropped like they had a stroke.
Serious heart lung damage.
If I was going to take any available good shot, I'd probably go with the Partition, but I would still keep the distance short.
Personally I don't take .223 shots on deer at more than 100 yards though a better marksman making a head or neck shot could probably stretch that distance some.

Nothing wrong with a .223 for deer if you are aware of it's limitations.

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have used a 222 to take deer. 55gr sierra fmjbt. and the 45gr v max both worksd great.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I can get my buddy who shot a small deer with a 60gr partition out of his 22-250 can respond directly and give you more details, but I'll give you an idea of what he told me....
Basically he shot the deer with the 60gr partition which slipped in and out between the ribs but straight through the thorax. It left a very small pencil like wound channel and they almost lost the deer because of how far it ran after he hit it.
Sure lots of people have killed lots of deer with 22's and you hear about them. I think that there are also lots of deer wounded with them that run off never to be found that nobody will brag about. My buddy said he'll probably never shoot another deer with a 22 since it's just an unnecessary risk when you have a larger better caliber available. Seemed likes good advice to me.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
" I think that there are also lots of deer wounded with them that run off never to be found that nobody will brag about. "

A brazen bald faced FACT!!! Roll EyesYou can take that to the bank.The sub calibers are just to bullet design sensitive, and just about the time you think you got it right you screw up; NO bullroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gunsmile

One deer
Two deer (antelope actually)
Three and four.

At last count Gerard had 28 consecutive one shot kills with the 22x64.

Posts: 52 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
yes... I understand the limitations, and I would not choose a .22 centerfire as my primary deer rifle. The 6.5X55 is my first choice.
This topic is for a friend that wants a rifle for plinking, turkeys, varmints, and, if presented with a good shot, deer. He's financially limited, and I will be reloading for him, so the .223 seems to be the best balance of power and versatility.
Thanks for all the info.... I'm thinking the Barnes Triple Shock might be just the berries..
That website with the deer and antelope pics is pretty awesome.... that's genuine, in the field type of research... the best kind.

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
IN 22 caliber I have taken deer with two different bullets and both killed the deer on the spot. Two were good sized bucks and several medium sized black tails ( about the size of an antelope.).

The first bullet that has taken several of them is the Speer 70 grain SMP. MV was about 2950 or so and the deer were all taken at under 200 yds.

The second bullet was a Barnes 53 XLC out of a 22/250 at about 3800 fps out of the muzzle. All deer taken were under 200 yds once again.
Instant kills.

I am a firm believer in shot placement and I have not lost a deer shot with a 22 caliber because of poor shot placement.

Those two bullets are up to the task if the shooter is. For within a 150 yds, I think the 22 Hornet with a 45 grain X Barnes bullet would be good. At least on antelope sized deer.

It is all about shot placement regardless of caliber or bullet sized. Contrary to a lot of guys, I would rather see a guy hunting smaller deer with a 22 caliber centerfire than a large caliber rifle with a fast cartridge where the bullet will probably pass thru the animal before it has a chance to open up. I did that one season with a 275 grain Speer and shot a blacktail right thru the lungs. It must have went 200 yds before dying. More than enough distance to loose one if the terrain is right or the coverage is thick.

The 70 grain Speer and 53 grain XLC kills were instant. So those experiences formed my opinions.

Cheers
thunderbolt

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hornetguy2:
for plinking, turkeys, varmints, and, if presented with a good shot, deer..

So, have you a notion yet of what you are going
to load for him. IE will he shoot everything
with the same load? Otherwise the POImpact may
be out, and when your looking for turkeys, that's when the deer pop up.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hornetguy2:
.... I'm not up on which .22 cal bullet would be tough enough to use on deer... This would more than likely be out of a .233... possibly a .222 Rem... I'm thinking nothing larger than 60gr... 50-55 would be better. I think Nosler makes a partition at 60gr... and Barnse makes the X at 55? gr or so.... any other ideas?

Winchester makes a 64-grain that works. Other than that, you have the 70-grain Speer, but that's beyond your weight range.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
...as to the loads, I intend to load probably just two different loads... a milder load for "plinking" purposes, and the heavier load for possible deer use.... for in between loads I suspect he will just buy "standard" .223 loads.... or maybe just use the milder loads for everything but deer...