THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: How do you buy your brass...New or already fir

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How do you buy your brass...New or already fir
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got 1000 pieces each of cleaned and processed brass from
http://www.scharch.com/
.223 LC
.308 LC
40 S&W [ mixed but mostly Win]
10mm FC
45acp many brands mixed

I have never been able to find one thing wrong with any of the 5000 pieces, and the consistency in accuracy and threshold of yielding with high pressure loads is excellent.

That said,
I mostly buy Lapua and Win brass new these days.
The Win costs less but takes more prep time.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go to the public range and pick it up for free!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Curious as to how you purchase your brass.

Usually CASH, sometimes I use a credit card . . .

That was just too easy.

Serious mode: My 30-06 brass is Lake City pulled brass, never fired. My .38spl was all once fired nickel plated brass I bought from the same place as the LC match stuff. The .357 is brass colored Starline brass I bought as loaded ammo. The quality was so bad on that stuff that I tore it down and that is how and why I learned to reload. (to give you an idea, one peice did not even have a flash hole . . . )

Using nickel plate on the .38 and brass color on the .357 makes it easy to tell which is which, even on brain fart days.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm firing used brass you can bet it started with me as new brass. I find that if I start with new
unfired brass I'll always know that the primer pockets have been uniformed, the primer pocket holes
reamed out, cases trimmed and mouths bevelled inside and out. I'll also know there is no metal
stuck inside the case (it does happen). If you're a serious shooter these things are often important.
It's just that little margin of safety, that's all. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

You should be on TNT. They know drama.
Seriously I love your pages!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lou,

I do all three.

I buy factory new brass for all of my rifles and handgun ammo intended for carry, once fired from a reputable source like Midway or brass that I have picked up at the range (well inspected later of course) for handgun practice, and brass from factory loads for both rifle and pistol (Always good to see what your handloads can do against the factory stuff - right)? Lou, If you do any amount of shooting, I think you may also come to these same conclusions.

-Mule Skinner

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

You should be on TNT. They know drama.
Seriously - I really like your pages!

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Lou270
Winchester's bag o brass mainly. If I reload a factory round,its one I purchased originally.
I never use anyones reloads or range brass. There are a couple of people I shoot who reload range brass with no problems,YET.To each,his own.
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote