Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lothar walther barrels
 Login/Join

posted
im thinkin to made a customgun lothar walther match barrels is that a god choise. i heard that germany make i good match barrels.

Posts: 22 | Location: sweden | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Many people have posted on this forum that they will have no other barrel but a Lothat-Walther. I have never read any post
saying anything but they are among the very best of barrels.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are great barrels. I have several, some of which are cryogenically treated. All of them shoot very well indeed. If you intend to cryo a barrel, order it from LW with a note saying so. They do something different to barrels that are to be cryoed.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in as another fan of L W.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I went over there and looked. They have a nice selection but I did not run across their price list. E-mailed them and no answer yet.
Thanks
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I emailed Walther about basic prices over a month ago, maybe longer.... No reply... I kind of lost interest due to lack of response...

I do not know how any one got their barrels? Is there a trick one needs to know?

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent them an email enquiring about a 1300 contour ( standard sporter weight) stainless barrel in 6.5. I got a response the next day. The price was $232 for the contoured blank. They will thread, chamber and crown for extra. By the way, that 6.5 barrel comes in either a 8, 9, or 10 twist. I am choosing an 8 twist for my 6.5-06. Hope this helps. Roger.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two years ago, I bought a Ruger 77/II Ultralight, cal 270 Win. I tried several reloads and factory rounds, but I could not get better groups than 14/16 cm @ 200 m. with some flyers even worse. Few months ago, I had it rebarreled with a LW #1200 contour, threaded and chambered, and the rifle now makes 7/8 cm groups consistently without bedding; since I'm not a first class sniper, and I haven't tried many reloads, I believe that the rifle could even shoot a little better than so. Needless to say that the chamber is perfect. I'm very satisfied! - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have got 6 LW barrels, all through Brownell's. The three important things about a barrel for me are:
1) How smooth is the bore?
How fast will it foul?
How fast will it clean?
2) How stress relieved is the barrel?
Does the point of impact wander when the barrel heats up?
3) How small are the groups with a clean cool barrel?

Lothar Walther rates a perfect 10 in all three of my topics. The worst barrels I have ever installed are Adams and Bennet, and they do very well on the third topic, it is the first two topics that are different. Shilen Chrome Moly, military, and most take off barrels are somewhere in between.

The only problem I have ever had with LW barrels is that they are polished so smooth on the outside, that the copper pivot ring I put in the lathe chuck cannot get a grip on the barrel for cutting threads. I have to rough up the barrel shank for traction.

Any new rifle barrel I buy will be a Lothar Walther barrel from now on.
I am done fooling with other barrels.
--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
no im going to by a LW barrels to built a 7mmstw on a remington action 27inch 10" tvist. i hopes is a good choise

Posts: 22 | Location: sweden | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
So far I own 2 and will no doubt buy more of them in the future.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I unfortunately had the same experience as did other posters: it was kind of hard to get *any* information out of LW. Pity, their barrels are supposedly excellent.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

I had bad experience with a barrel and "customer service" (more the lack of it) trying to solve the problems. Not the brightest experience..

I have used Border barrels. They cost a bit more, but you can get anything you want, twist, profile, number of lands and groves etc. etc. Cut or button rifled. I guess that is what really is a custom barrel

Shultz and Larsen used to make nice barrels but I have no idea how they are today. Another option is Sako barrels

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Jedi
posted Hide Post
I have a Lothar Walther barrel on my 6.5x55 M-98.

The best groups it shoots is 9mm (3 shot groups)on 100 meters with Norma Diamondline match-ammo (130 gr. bullets)!!! This is almost unbelievable!

I'm looking for a good barrel for my next project.

I have the best experience with LW - barrels and would strongly consider a stainless steel (cryo?) one, - but compared to Lilja, Krieger, Shilen and Border, what would you choose? - Any comments?

Posts: 52 | Location: Elverum, Norway | Registered: 04 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just sent my second inquiry to Walther; we will have to see if I get a reply this time.

To much fun

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote