Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best press to reload 45-70?
 Login/Join

posted
At over two bucks a round for the better factory ammo, I've decided to get started in reloading. Mostly, I will reload for the 45-70, but I'm sure I will also tinker with some pistol loads.

So, what do you guys think is the best quality press for this application? I'd like to be able to reload quickly and spend my time shooting, but I won't sacrifice safety or quality. I may get into super accurate loads at some point, but in that case I will probably go to a .308. But that's down the road.

From what I have read, the Redding T-7 seems to be a top contender for quickly assembling pumpkin slingers.

[ 02-11-2003, 10:18: Message edited by: Cameron Reddy ]

Posts: 3 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a RC11 but it is a little slower than a progressive, but I make good ammo on it thats for sure !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Any "O" type (single stage) press will suffice. The RCBS "Rockchucker," Redding "Boss" (a best buy), Lyman "Orange Crusher" are all excellent. The Forster "Co-Ax[ial]" and the older CH "H" press are also well-suited to the task.

Posts: 6 | Location: Kingston, New York | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I use a Forester/Bonanza Co-Ax to load my 45-70. I can load more rounds in a couple of evenings then I'm willing to shoot in a couple of days.
In the past I've loaded 45-70s on RCBS, Dunbar, Lee presses and they all have produced good loads.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's the "best" press to load 45-70 ammo on but I use a rockchucker to load mine on.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am actually one day going to get a dillon one day as I load a fair bit of 45/70 stuff.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have an older RCBS that I got in the 70's it works fine for the .45-70.

-M

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Would a Lee Turret press be a good option? They have a 4 station version out. I will eventually reload a 45-70, but for now it's limited to a 300WinMag.

Does anyone have experience with this press?

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Dillon 550B loads .45-70 just fine.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Rockchucker by RCBS, not too expensive and not cheap, last you a lifetime, cost around $100.00

You can even find them at gunshows cheaper

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Lee press with very good results on the 45-70, both in smokeless and blackpowder. Any "O" press will do for this round, as it isn't a benchrest candidate.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Martindog>
posted
quote:
Posted by GonzoFreakPower:
Would a Lee Turret press be a good option? They have a 4 station version out. I will eventually reload a 45-70, but for now it's limited to a 300WinMag.

I don't think you'll be able to drop powder automatically unless you use their pistol powder mneasure with a double disk kit, and even then I'm not sure you'd be able to throw enough powder, plus you'd be limited to the fixed cavity combinations only. Their rifle measure will not work on the Turret press with their universal rifle charging die -- that's made to work only on a progressive (Pro 1000, Loadmaster) where the head/turret doesn't rotate. You might be able to mount the measure in the turret and throw charges manually, but that would seem like a pain. E-mail Lee and ask them what they think.

Based on your two calibers, I can't imagine high volume being a big requirement unless you are a glutton for recoil. I'd just go with a decent single stage unit or upgrade to a progressive if speed/time is important to you.

Martindog

[ 02-12-2003, 05:06: Message edited by: Martindog ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redding Turret is one of the best multi station manual presses out there. It has one solid setup. On the other hand, both the Rockchucker and the Redding Ultramag are also fine single station presses and should be more than enough for the 45-70. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why .45-70 would be considered
a tough cartridge needing a strong press, I load .45-70 and it's basically just a large pistol cartridge, I find full length resizing
.30-06 takes considerably more force. I think turret presses are a great option for most of
calibers, you still retain manual control for
powder charging and priming where I find the feel of a hand priming tool like the Lee or the
RCBS gives you the feel to precisely seat primers.
fredj

Posts: 7 | Location: Madison WI | Registered: 25 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 45-70 on my Dillon RL550B but I would look at the RCBS Rockchucker master reloader kit or the Redding T7 press(very nice)

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Lee turret press for loading .45-70 sounds like a fine idea to me. Piggybacking a conventional powder measure just ain't that hard. I use an RCBS measure that comes with screw-in nozzles to match the case being charged. I just went out and looked and found that it would be a very few minutes work to turn the knurled part to a press fit in the Lee funnel nut on top of the expander die. Add a set screw or two to keep it in place and you have coupling to mount an adjustable measure on your Lee dies. Pity that Lee don't sell such a nut with female 7/8x14 threads on the top end for just that purpose.

I use the Lyman multi-expand charge kit for such work. Unfortunately, the expanders in the kit don't stretch to .45-70. Be easy to buy some spare hollow stems for that kit and turn one to expand and flare .45-70, though.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you buy a progressive, carefully consider how many you shoot. I doubt loading 20 cartridges on a progressive is much faster than 20 on a single stage considering set up time. If you get into competitive pistol shooting then the progressive is the way to go.

I use a Rockchucker single stage for my 45-70 and pistols. I average about 100 shots per week in the summer. The "slow" single stage is plenty fast for that.

Posts: 26 | Location: Marilla, NY, outside of Buffalo | Registered: 11 June 2002Reply With Quote
<71 Win>
posted
I have a Lyman crusher and am very happy with it. A very heavy and well built press. It seems that you can pick these up for a better price than the RCBS Stuff. I got mine last year new for about $75.00.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amigo,
I have a dillon 550B, a rockchucker, a Lyman Spar-t turret press, a lee challenger press, a lyman acculine convertable press and a Lee hand press, any and all do a great job of loading the 45-70. I think that you can use what ever you want, even an old Lee Handloader kit and make good ammo. How fast you want to make it will make a difference, if you don't enjoy the actual act of reloading and just want to get through it, well it's hard to beat the Dillon, Kachink, kachink, kachink...round falls into the bin.
I don't think that you can make a wrong decision. Just becareful, like so many things gun related, it can become an obsession...(just look at all the junk I have!)

My opinion only,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg, I also have used the Lee hand press, as a matter of fact thats all I have used so far. The loads I have worked up for the .45-70 are many, and the Lee hand press takes almost no effort with this round.
One of these days I'll get my bench built but until then the Lee will work just fine.

Charlie

P.S. 1 1/4" @ 100yrds. w/Marlin 1895 G.G.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spend the money if you can and get as much Dillon as you can afford, hopefully a 650
and you will be set for life.
SS

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote