THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy .224 Projectiles for game (.222 Rem)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

My newly rebarrelled .222 Rem with 1 in 8 twist tube will arrive just in time to take on my next hunt - so I won't have much time to experiment.

Could you please give me some pointers as to which 70-75 grain projectiles (loads too if you have them) have been found to work well on deer sized animals (I don't need any lectures on wether or not I should use the .222 for deer thanks). I'm really only familiar with those lighter projectiles that stabilise at factory twists - previously I've used primarily Nosler solid base.

I hope to achieve about 2750-2800 fps. Readily avaliable brands here are Speer, Sierra and Nosler, although there may be others.

Thanks - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't know. 222rem on deer it is illegal over here and that makes good sense too. Having said that I would use any premium bullet. In your case it looks like Nosler partition.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is a wrong thing, shot placement is a little more key, but most shooters, need to learn a lot more about shot placement and spend less time dwelling of FPS and Foot pounds.

My picks for large game with a 22 caliber centerfire, start out with the 60 grain projectiles which seem to be made a lot tougher and less explosive than the smaller bullets in 22 caliber.

The newer Sierra, 65 grain, the 63 grain Sierra SMP are both excellent bullets as is their 60 grain HP.

The old standbys, the 64 grain Winchester SP and my favorite the 70 grain Speer SP.

Hornady's 60 grainers and the 60 grain VMax ( which seems to be less fragile than the 55 and smaller VMaxes from what I have seen) are good choices.

The jury is still out on the 75 grain Hornady A Max and the 75 grain HP match bullet in my opinion. I'd waste a varmint of two with them first before I made the final decision on them.

While I love Nosler, I have not heard many stellar accuracy reports on the 60 grain partition.

I have taken deer with the 53 grain Barnes XLC bullet and can attest to their effectiveness. I am not a big Barnes fan, but those certainly did the job.

That about sums up my 22 caliber experience on game the size of small to medium deer.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Seafire - just what I was looking for, I found lots of stuff re other .224 C/F's but mostly those getting higher velocities than the little ole .222. Since I can get 70 gn Speers readily, thats what it'll be.

I agree completely about the FPS and ballistics thing, I know that of the rifles in my cabinet the .222 is the one that enables me to make the best shot placements. If I don't think I can place a shot right, then the oportunity can pass, there is always another deer, another day.

If I'm hunting pigs or other game where I'll be expecting maybe to take a running shot, then the 7x57 gets a walk.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way to load up a 222R for big game is to insert the entire cartridge, sans powder and primer, into a .375 H&H.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the life of me I do not see the attraction of using a cartridge that is unsuitable for the task. Maybe someone can explain it?

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
With proper angle, shot placement, and reasonable ranges, the 222 is an adequate whitetail cartridge. BUT it certainly is not ideal. Many deer have been killed with the 22 LR (and I suppose many have been wounded and lost) and the 222 is way ahead of that. I wouldn't want anyone shooting at me with a 222 and I'm a lot bigger than most whitetails! Some folks like to "up the ante" and limit themselves to a certain caliber, range, and shot placement.....it makes the game more fun and more challenging than just shooting at long range. I have no problem with someone shooting deer with a 22 caliber weapon if they know and abide by the limitations they are placing on themselves by doing so. My $0.02

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler and Trophy Bonded Bearclaws would be my choice.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
My father has killed tons of deer with his .222 and .220 Swift. He picks his shots and passes on marginal ones.

55 grain Barnes TSX is working great in his Swift (would not stabilize the 60 grain Partition).

When you shoot em in the ear they don't know the difference between the .222 and the .375 H&H homer

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Some folks like to "up the ante" and limit themselves to a certain caliber, range, and shot placement.....it makes the game more fun and more challenging than just shooting at long range."

That is when I go with a bigbore flintlock, or bow. To each his own I guess.