New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 in Modern Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody here reloading for the 6.5x55 in a modern action? What kinds of MV's are reasonably attainable?

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been getting 2600+ with 45 gr of IMR 4350 and 120 gr Nosler BT. That's in a Ruger.

Posts: 32 | Location: Gilbert, Mn | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, lets see...
first of all, work up your loads.

Depending on who makes your rifle check out to see if it is long throated. The Ruger is.

100 grain bullets: 3400 fps ( IMR 4064, RL 15)
120 grain bullets: 2900 to 3250 fps ( the latter is getting a little hot) ( IMR 4064, IMR 4895, IMR 3031, H 4350, RL 15) 3250 in a 26 inch barrel ( W748).
125/129 grain bullets: 2950 to 3,000 fps ( RL 19, IMR 4350, RL 15, IMR 4064)
140 grain bullets: 2850 to 2925 fps ( RL 22)
160 grain bullets: 2600 to 2700 fps. ( H 1000)

Some people like to think I am a nut when It comes to my velocities or my chronograph is broken. Al the above were in a Ruger with a 22 inch barrel, or a Winchester Model 70 with a 26 in barrel. actually there is not much difference in the MV of the two rifles. Both are long throated and bullets are seated to the full magazine length.

Winchester brass used and CCI or Federal Large Rifle primers are used.

work up these loads, carefully, starting at a much lower point.

Remember tho, the 6.5 bullets are so aerodynamic, if you choose to work up faster velocities take a look at a trajectory chart first to see what you are really gaining on trajectory. A 6.5 bullet, minus the 100 grain bullets, have a high enough sectional density that they are really quite substantial penetrators.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded 139 gr Lapua Scenar to 2850 fps without any signs of high pressures (Sako 75). Still fearing that one day or the other my days would end with a bolt in my face, I contacted a Norma technician. He said that my, fairly robust and modern rifle would be safe with this bullet at MV ~2790 fps. Now I have settled for a sweet 2608 fps load.

N204 Powder, by the way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 Classic in 6.5x55 and have grown quite fond of it. It's an accurate bugger. However, it has a 1 in 9" twist which is less than ideal. The original military rifles were 1 in 7 1/2", and most modern rifles are 1 in 8", both better than Remington's twist for the heavier bullets. With the Sierra 85gr. HP I get 3200fps. The Lapua Scenar bullet in 108gr. exits the barrel at 2900fps, the Sierra 120gr. HPBT Match cranks at 2800fps. I load the 129gr. Hornady PSP to 2815fps, and the Lapua 139gr. Scenar comes out at 2550fps. None of these are maximum loads, but they are quite accurate. You don't require as much speed in this caliber for hunting purposes because of the very high ballistic co-efficient. I only get 2400fps with the Sierra 160gr. SPSP, but it plays merry old hell with a moose's boiler room. A moose is no harder to kill than a deer. You don't really want a super high speed round that will pass through the animal and continue on into the sunset. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, for your replies and advice.

I'm getting a little extra money, and want to use it to put a 6.5x55 barrel on a large ring action. Now the problem is that I picked up the M48 Mauser that I planned to use for the base, and it is much nicer than I thought it would be. Almost hate to start fiddling with it. But I will.

The 6.5x55 seems like it ought to give a little more MV than the Rem 260, which is another fine 6.5mm round. The case holds about 4 grains of additional powder.

Your info is very encouraging.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Denton,

Perhaps I am missing something but don't if you increase the powder charge by say 10% (about right here as 4 gr. is about 10% of the load I use in my 6.5x55) that you can expect only a percentage of that in improved velocity? IOW, you might get an additional 100-150 fps over the .260 Rem when operating at the same pressures. However, if you had a "fast barrel" on the .260 and a "slow barrel" on the 6.5x55 you might just have exactly the same velocities at the same pressures...

The 6.5x55 is a fine cartridge. Start with book loads and load up using the accepted and proven methods to check for excessive pressure then stop (and maybe back it off a bit). There are so many variables such as chamber, bore, bullet, brass, powder, primer, length of bore, etc. that I don't think anyone can give you an accurate estimate of what your rifle will do.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hobie...

Excellent advice.

Just so you don't worry, I'll tell you that part of the conversion process will be to stick a strain gauge to the barrel, because all the loads I can find are appropriately mild, for the Swede. That way, I can work up to a full load, without danger of finding a rifle bolt where my nose used to be.

I have a lovely M96 Swede, with a 29" barrel. Quite amazingly, it gives me 2800 fps with 140 grain bullets, and mild book loads. I'm hoping to get that much out of a 24" tube. Anything additional would just be a nice bonus. I'll probably use lighter bullets in this one, for varminting. Whatever the finished gun willingly gives me will be fine.