Tools

Is the Thumlers Tumbler a good choice?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted
Happy New Year to all.

I'm looking for a new tumbler.

I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with the Thumlers Tumbler to clean their brass or moly coat?

If you have any comments please post them.

If you have been using a diffrent tumbler that has given you good performance please do not hesitate to let us know.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PETEM: My latest (and best so far!) case tumbler is the Thumlers Tumbler Model 18!
It is the vibratory type - I just checked their web site and they now make three models including one model called the UV-18. It appears to be the same size as mine.
I have been very happy with mine and have had no troubles.
When I first began reloading (40+ years ago) I used to use the old fashioned tumblers which circled the tumbling container around and around in circles - like a miniature paddle wheel. These were made by Thumlers Tumblers as well. The vibratory type is much better and quicker for the reloaders needs.
By the way the UV-18 model is the middle size model of the three that Thumlers offers. If I were to do it over again and I had a choice of sizes - I would go with the largest size available.
Best of luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I also have a Thumblers UV18, works great. I have a larger Dillon as well, most of them work about the same as long as the bowl shape has some curve to the sides.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PETEM---Several years ago I saw a Thumlers Tumbler at a garage sale for $3. Not familar with them and thinking it was a kids toy,I didn't buy it. Several months later in a different part of town,I found a second one-same price. Still thinking just a toy,I splurged and bought it. First thing I didn't like was there was no on/off switch. I bought a toggle switch and installed it--looked like it came from factory that way. Then after year or so the belt wore out. Went to sewing machine shop and found one that would work and it too wore out after a year or so. Went through a couple of them. Then I made a belt out of leather. Took a piece of thick leather and cut it to width of it's thickness to make a square. Beveled all 4 edges to make it semi round,then rolled it to get it pretty close to round. Where the ends butt together use either heavy fishing line or a large staple and your good to go. This stretched after a year or so,so I shortened it a tad and staple back together. That's been several years ago and it's still going. Sometimes I run it 24x7 for a week or so. It is the tumbler type with a rubber barrel--intended for polishing rocks. It works even when loaded heavy. They use such a small amount of current,I don't worry about letting it run overnight.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a rotary Model B purchased new in 1978 and have polished many thousands of rounds. It may not be as fast as the vibratory type but it's quieter. I suspect it will last longer because, as carpetman suggested, it was designed to polish rocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Thumlers Tumbler in the 80's. When I get back from a rifle match, usually late Saturday night, I put the brass in the thing, let it tumble over night, and the brass is clean of residue. I think I let pistol cases tumble for about four hours.

I also use my tumbler to lubricate rifle brass. I have an old tin can that used to hold three pounds of W231. It just fits on the rollers. I will toss an oily patch with RCBS case lube and at least 50 cases in the can and let it roll. In ten minutes the cases are lubed. Be sparing on that lube, you just need a light coating. When you have cases tumbling in a tin can the whole thing rattles like you would not believe.

I would recommend buying extra drive belts, if the roller bar sticks the belt gets rubbed to death and needs replacement.

I would buy extra wingnuts for the cover plate. Gremlins steal the things and place them under workbenches or under stuff that is impossible to move. Of they just disappear. You can get a bag of wingnuts from Home Depot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my Thumlers Tumbler Model B in 1974 and I wouldn't even guess how many thousands of brass I've polished in it!

I ordered 3 replacement belts in Dec of 2000 and still have the one on the machine and two still in the package! They were $3.90 each + S&H!

Ordered From:
TRU SQUARE METAL PRODUCTS
640 First ST SW
Auburn, WA 98001
or phone
1-800 225-1017

Like has already been said, some of the newer vibratory machines are faster, but both get the job done!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time. Why do you tumble/clean your brass? What are the benefits besides being nice and shiny? If you read Hatchers notebook, he ran test where the 'dirty' brass held up much better tha than the clean brass. I don't mean to hijack this thread but after thirty plus years od relaoding I don't get it and just gotta ask...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually wore out the shell of a Thumbler's vibratory tumbler ... but it took more than 20 years to do!

Great payback for a reasonable investment.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unique---I keep most ammo in plastic boxes and seldom let one hit the ground. So my brass stays fairly clean. I size and deprime and then tumble and that is mainly to get the case lube off. Flaws,like split necks seem easier to detect??? Maybe not. For one thing it is another couple chances to see any flaws that can be visually detected. One problem with this method is a piece of media could be stuck in the primer pocket or flash hole. If I use corn cobb media--there will be one stuck that has to be picked out--every case--seems a given. If I use walnut media(which I do)it runs out like sand and is not a problem. Those that tumble before sizing and depriming don't have that problem,but they have the case lube. Don't know if it shortens case life?? I think tumbled brass looks better.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reply Carpetman. According to Hatcher, the dirty brass lasts longer because the brass is less likey to corrode where as the clean brass is more prone to corrode.

I have wondered if clean brass is easier on the reloading dies. Seems like it should be. I have used brass others have tumbled and I did not like the plugged flash holes.

As far as detecting flaws in the brass, the dirty brass shows them quite well.

I wipe the brass with iso-alchohol to remoe the case lube...I guess that is form of cleaning.

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.

I use a small rotary rock polisher now and it works well, but need more volume.

I was looking at the Thumlers rotary model B, because I like the capacity and the price and you can also get the converion kit wit the 2 rubber barrels.

Does anyone have an opinion on rotary versus vibratory tumblers?

I also looked at the RCBS sidewinder and think it's over priced and has lees capacity than the Thumler.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clean brass sizes and feeds better in a rifle, with less chance of scratching a die with a piece of embedded sand or other grit.
Vibratory cleaners work faster, but use corn cob/walnut/rice for media that has to be replaced after it gets dirty. Rotary tumblers can use wet ceramic media that lasts forever, and cleans better than the dry media in the vibratory cleaners. The rotary tumbler with wet ceramic media have started to become popular with the black powder shooters due to the better cleaning action. The Thumbler models and the RCBS Sidewinder are the only rotary tumblers I know of, though there are probably other makers as well.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote