Find
Notify
Tools

Hornet brass life
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of British
posted
Could someone with a little time on their hands give me some info on average brass life for both the 22 Hornet and 22 K-Hornet?

If, eventually, all goes well with my application for a firearms certificate, I will be looking to get a rifle in this particular calibre (or maybe a .17 rem) but I will going into the sport on a fairly tight budget to begin with and so I'm trying to get together as much info as possible in order that I can do some sums.

Thanks in advance [Smile]

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some Norma brass that I have loaded in excess of 50 times. I have Winchester brass that only lasted through 5 loadings using the same load. Go figure.
I do not think there are any certainties when figuring case life, but I do know that keeping your Hornet loads on the mild side will definitely increase case life.

one of us
posted Hide Post
British,

This is what I have found with my 77/22 in the nifty little Hornet:

Right now, my cases are on about 10 firings. I wish I could tell you exactly where they are, but, honestly, I haven't kept precise count...just estimates based upon how many primers I have left!

It is true that the lighter you load the Hornet, the longer the brass will last...I think, anyway. That's what I have been told! My load is 12 gr. of IMR4227 with the 35gr VMAX. Its a pretty "stout" load, but the only case problems I have had so far has been about 4 cases with a tiny split in the neck. I have lost more cases to my own carelessness while loading than to their own failing!

Here in the States, Hornet brass is dirt cheap...about $12 for 100 pieces. Personally, at that price, even if case life was "short" it wouldn't bother me too much!

I hope this helps you some. The Hornet is a great little cartridge, and I now know, I will never be without at least one again!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
Crowrifle & Trapdoor: Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated.

One of the things I most like about these forums is the amount of information on tap from knowledgable people such as yourselves [Smile]

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Hornet is loaded with;
40g Speer Sp's
10g H110,CCI 500 primers.
Shoots Sub 1/2 MOA.
6 years on I am still using the same SAKO cases.Thats cheap!

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a set of Lee collet dies for my hornet and that combined with switching to Lil Gun powder I have found case stretch in my Contender Hornet to be almost nonexistent (my groups also tightened up considerably with Lil Gun).

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote