Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee 1000's anda Dillon (questions)
 Login/Join

posted
Please forgive me if this is a typical newbie question, but I'm am about to take the plunge into reloading and have no idead WTF I'm getting into. I am going to take a look at two used Lee 1000's and a Dillon of unknown model number (Likely a Square Deal B maybe a 550). I've been told that the Lee's have nothing but problems with the priming station and not to use it. Assuming that everything else is good to go what's a good price to offer for the Lees? I'm like to strike a deal and want to give him an offer that we can both be happy with. I've seen the Lee's for ~$120 and up.

Now, the Dillon, if it's a SDB what's a good ballpark price? I understand that the SDB is limited to pistol calibers only, but that's fine with me for now. I'll run 38/357 and .45 ACP on it if I get it.

TIA

SqS

Posts: 9 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have never reloaded before, I'd reccomend that you start off with a single stage press. You can get the Lee anniversary kit for about $80 with manuel. That along with the book "ABC's of Reloading" will teach you everything you need to know.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thansk for the reply. I bought Modern Reloading by Richard Lee the other night. Guess I sohuld have just bought the kit. I'll start with a single stage press to learn the ropes but I still have to meet this guy this afternoon. Assuming that the Dillon is a SDB is 50-60% of the new purchase price a fair offer to make? I don't want to screw either one of us, nor piss him off.

SqS

posted Hide Post
Ended up getting the following

Dillon 550
Midway 122 tumbler
1500 cast .45 bullets (200grn)
15 boxes Winchester LG primers
3 partial cans of powder
Strainer
Scale
9mm and .45 ACP dies
Pile of .45 brass.

$180 for everything. Couldn't pass it up. Thanks for the help.

SqS

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great deal. I was going to recommend just getting a progressive. It takes too much time to load pistol ammo on a single stage.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
Squirrel Sniper,

Beware of partial cans of gunpowder, unless you are the one who partially emptied the cans. The wrong powder (too fast) in a given load, can make for a wrecked gun, and a very bad day.

flutedchamber

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flutedchamber:
Squirrel Sniper,

Beware of partial cans of gunpowder, unless you are the one who partially emptied the cans. The wrong powder (too fast) in a given load, can make for a wrecked gun, and a very bad day.

flutedchamber

Absolutely! I had planned on disposing of them in some manner but not using them. Might just spread it out in the back yard as there isn't too much of either powder left.

SqS