Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 Bent Case Heads
 Login/Join

posted
I decided to try a cordless drill with my lee case trimmer w/ball grip to speed up the trimming process. I ran across a few cases that would wobble off center. Some would wobble slightly while others would wobble badly. The cases didn’t have any cracks or other obvious flaws. They are RP 223 cases that I purchased a couple of years ago (1000 for $22). I re-chucked them a couple of times to make sure they weren’t chucked off center. I threw the really bad ones out, and set aside the ones that were slight. Out of about 125 cases, I had three really bad ones and six that wobbled slightly.

It makes me wonder if that occasional flyer could be caused by something like this.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Jr.,

Are these cases brand new (unfired) or are they cases that have been fired someone's rifle?

New cases are sometimes off a bit, but upon firing them in my own rifle and resizing them to my chamber, they work perfectly well.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
These cases were sold as "once fired". They all have a small ding on the side. I have heard that it was most likely fired in an AR15.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
That would make sense. The Semi-autos and autos can play hell on brass during ejection.

If the brass is grossly disfigured, I would scrap it. Still, it may be economical and practical to consider the first loading as an opportunity for fire forming your brass to your chamber.

That would mean accepting a loss of potential accuracy the first time through. Then, check the concentricity of the cases and then pick the ones to scrap.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That ding tells the story. They've been fired in some sort of auto or semi. I wouldn't worry about it too much. And I wouldn't start culling them until I'd fired them in my rifle. FYI: in fact, if they're not too long, I wouldn't do too much case prep on them before I had fired them the first time in my rifle.

posted Hide Post
Ok fellas,

I appreciate your help!

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
jr.

Also, keep in mind that you wouldn't want to be using a max load for the first time through the brass. Actually, fireforming can be done with a primer, a little shot gun powder and filling the case with cornstarch... no bullet.

Check the bases for nicks and burrs that may be throwing off the case in your case trimmer rig.

Stillbeeman brings up a good point regarding excessive trimming. If you have any further questions, keep asking!! We are here to help.

posted Hide Post
My rem700sps varmint does that doent no why

Posts: 14 | Location: canada | Registered: 08 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Varmintshooter,

My .223 bolt action will cause some non-concentric case expansion depending upon the load I am using.

When I first bought the rifle, I started working up loads using factory ammo brass that I shot out in the rifle. I then started working with IMR 3031 and some other powders that were supposed to be good according to the manuals. Well, 3031 caused some unusual bulges near the base of the case, and I immediatly stopped shooting it!!

I then tried IMR 4198, and found that I got very little case expansion, awesome velocity and superb accuracy. Now the brass lasts forever and stays relatively concentric to the chamber.

Still, when trimming the cases, I do notice a little wobble even in some of the best fired cases. Maybe it is due to an oversize chamber, a slight misalignment of the bolt, action and barrel, or variations in brass hardeness that is the cause. They still provide very good accuracy when reloaded.

I full length resize them, setting the die so the case just starts chambering without resistance in my rifle. A close fit is always a close fit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they will fit his chamber, why not just chamfer the mouth of the case, prime the case, load a charge (or set up a sequence of powder to load test), seat a bullet, aim in, and fire?
It's all the same case. Why not get some range time and practice. Sight in the rifle. practice his bench technique. If he gets an unexplained flyer, mark the case and if he gets a repeat after he does his careful case prep, THEN pitch it.
Things will just get better when he has the brass fired in his chamber. Wink

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Stillbeeman,

Considering the increasing cost of components, and the time issue, I will probably be fireforming more often than I used to. Besides, its kind of fun watching the Corn meal fly in the air!! Just remember to leave the lenscover on the scope!! Cool