Find
Notify
Tools

.300 RUM ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted
Hey guys, which is the better bullet weight, 180 or 200gr. ballisticly in the .300 RUM? Thanks

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I like these in my RUM and they work great on game too!

http://www.groovebullets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That depends upon what you desire.

Given a similar shape, the 180 will shoot flatter but will drift in the wind more and retain less energy. If all your shots will be say, less than 350 yds, the flatter trajectory of the 180 might be what you're looking for--just aim and fire. No need for a rangefinder or any of that stuff.

If, however you plan on taking longer shots than that, you shouldn't be doing so without a rangefinder IMHO. Then drop is easily compensated for. Then the 200 will be easier to hit with due to less wind drift (wind is much more difficult to compensate for) and it will hit harder when it gets there.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given identical bullet styles the difference will be very small.The 180's will shoot slightly flatter and with less recoil.I use 180's in my 300ultras for all of my hunting.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I'm asking about this for my hunting partner who shoots a .300RUM I thought the 200gr would shoot as flat but with better retained energy than the 180gr. He likes the 180 but i've always prefered the heavyest bullet for caliber myself. I'll be reloading for it so any info you can share would be appreciated. Thanks again [Smile]

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With identical bullet designs the 180 will shoot flatter and energy will be nearly identical.I would suggest trying reloader 25 powder as most rifles seem to do well with it.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Stubble and do exactly what he said with my 300RUM. 180gr bullet with plenty of RL-25 (94.5gr to be exact).

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ol Bull, I think like you do. I like 200 grain Speers in .300 Weatherby. (I like 190 gr. BTSP and 180 gr. SP Hornadies, too.)

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ol Bull,

If you shoot the 200gr Nosler Accubond with Retumbo at 90-95gr and don't get excellent groups with that, you'd be the first I'd hear that didn't! [Wink]

I wish they made a 220 or a 240 Accubond for the 30's... I do know the 180's are being tested and coming out soon.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote