THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Are carbide sizer balls a substitute for expander dies before neck turning?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are carbide sizer balls a substitute for expander dies before neck turning?
 Login/Join

<Oilburner>
posted
If I already have carbide expanding balls for my Redding dies, can I use them to expand the case prior to neck turning?

<reload>
posted
Yes, the case will fit better on you pilot collet so you get a better cut. You will have less problems if you make two cuts to get down to the thickness you want instead of one thick cut. Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
MY GUESS IS NO. If it is a "sizing" ball from a die it should leave your case mouth undersized from the caliber diameter. You actually want to be slightly oversized. ONLY a trial will tell. But, it you don't have too loose of a chamber you may be able to cut unsized 1x fired brass and escape the whole beginning process.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Kraky. I love those carbide sizer buttons for reloading but they are undersized such that the case neck has proper tension to grip the bullet. Prior to case turning I use a Sinclair expander that is oversized by 0.001 inch. Believe me, even with lube, it's much easier to turn necks after passing through the Sinclair die than it is on an unfired case or worse yet a sized case.

Good luck.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote