New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking your brains on the 243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've just started reloading for a Ruger Model 77 243. I've tried 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and Partitions with a medium dose of IMR 4350. Groups haven't been much to brag about. I've been thinking of trying the 100 grain Nosler Partition and see if this helps. I don't really want to load this rifle hot as it will most likely be a starter rifle for the grandkids. Any thoughts appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader2
The 243 is like any other calibre/rifle.
There is no telling what load your rifle will like.
The 2 243's I had liked Sierra 100 gr SPZ or the 95 GR Nosler Partition over 40 or 42 grains of 4350.
My wife and I used 40 grains here in TX where shots were close and used 42 grains in Wyoming and Colorado, where shots were farther away.

Just do a little experimenting, you should find a good load.

How have your groups been?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Tikka T3 likes Hornady SST 95s better than nosler BT's. I load them over 43g of I4350.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming this will be a hunting load for deer since you've been loading partitions. They're a little spendy to just shoot paper.

I had best results with Varget with bullets up to 80 grains. H4350 is a good powder for 85-95 grain bullets and H1000 works best for me with the 100 and 105's.

My rilfe has a 1 in 9 twist and definately shoots heavier bullets better. I think your Ruger has a 1 in 10" twist.

If you want to keep the recoil down I'd try a mild load with H4895 or Varget they work better than some powders when using reduced loads. Otherwose I'd stick with IMR or H4350 and bullets from 8-95 grains. Give the Hornady SST and Speer BTSP a shot. If you're loading them slow I wouldn't worry about using a "premium" bullet like the partition. You'll want something a little softer to ensure they expand at lower velocity.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In some rifles, the .243 is touchy. I once had to go through over 200 loads to find one accurate in a Sako. It was dead slow but took a lot of game. I will never understand why the .244 Remington fell away and the .243 stayed. Rate of twist killed the Remington, which was a much better caliber then the Winchester, easier to load and much more accurate.
Everyone wanted the .243 for deer because of light recoil and good killing power. Now deer won't die unless a super duper ass kicking ultra high velocity magnum is used.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the 95 BTs with 36.5gr of IMR-4064 or the 85 Speer boattail with 38gr of IMR-4064

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try other loads as it's the most fun but check that everything is tight and the bedding is right. That work is less fun than loads but it's usually where the problem is.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader2,I have A tikka T-3 lite SS with tupperwear stock.The load I use in the rifle is A 87.gr Hornady SP. with H-4350 44.5gr. Rem, or Win. brass, and A federal 210 primer, the same with A 95.gr Nosler BT, But A lesser powder charge, A 100gr. Speer, or Sierra will work also, With 42gr. of H-4350. So pick A bullet, I think you have A good powder choice, and keep working with it check the HODGDON 26TH MANUAL for some lite loads,page 498.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
The 243 is like any other calibre/rifle.
There is no telling what load your rifle will like.

I beg to differ in that IMHO many 243s are marginaly twisted for the industry standard 100gr bullets or 95gr polycarbonate tipped (and hence longer) bullets.

As others have said I would try 85-90gr bullets which tend to be more accurate, considerably faster and not lacking on standard sized deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle likes 4064 or 4320 better than 4350 or 4831

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
All the .243 rifles I've had shot extremely well with 100gr Nosler partitions and 42 grains of IMR 4350. My BLRs usually shot around a half-inch with this load.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
My favorite accuracy load for the 243 Win is IMR 4064 with 37.5 grains, Speer 90 gr spire point with a Winchester large rifle primer. Very accurate in my 1969 vintage Ruger model 77RS.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya say your loads aren't much to brag about but don't say what they are? Could be you've had some good loads but have a bedding problem. The 243 is not a favorite of mine but I'm on my 3rd. It was misserable to get to shoot. Model 700 ADL with that plastic stock. Worst bedding I have ever seen in any rifle. Took it apart and completely rebedded it and shortened the front guard screw, it was rubbing the locking lug, and now it shoot's very well. Look at the rifle befor you put to much blame on loads.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI,m begining to sound like a broken record (Image from the past) but 44 to 45 gr. of accurate data powder 86 behind that 100 gr. bullet may just give you what you're looking for (> 3000fps). Really hard to overload. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350, CCI br2 primer, Sierra 85gr hpbt Gameking number 1530. Early Ruger had 1-10 twist, newer guns are 1-9. This bullet will work in both. The lighter weight bullet will give less recoil for your grandkids. The bullet works well with woodchuck or deer. IMR 4350 is a little faster burning then H4350. Use the IMR 4350. Near maxium loads tend to be more accurate. Accuracy should be 1.5" or smaller@100yards.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the 100 grain Partitions this afternoon with 39.5 grains of IMR 4350. Three shot groups are 2 1/2"with this combo also. I retightened everything after shooting and gave her a good scrubbing and will try again another day.
It seems to be developing a pattern of 1st shot where I want it followed by two that go to the right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Roll EyesI,m begining to sound like a broken record (Image from the past) but 44 to 45 gr. of accurate data powder 86 behind that 100 gr. bullet may just give you what you're looking for (> 3000fps). Really hard to overload. beerroger

My Stevens likes 43.2 gr with the Nosler 95 gr Ballistic Tip, CCI-200 primers. Around 3050 fps, put 5 shots into 5/8 of an inch at 100 yards from a benchrest. The 44 gr load seemed a little warm, at over 3100 fps. Sure love that Accurate Data 86 powder!

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2ndtimer:

My Stevens likes 43.2 gr with the Nosler 95 gr Ballistic Tip, CCI-200 primers. Around 3050 fps, put 5 shots into 5/8 of an inch at 100 yards from a benchrest. The 44 gr load seemed a little warm, at over 3100 fps. Sure love that Accurate Data 86 powder!

Roll EyesWed. I'll be testing 45.6gr. with a 100gr psp. Mid South bulk bullet that has been accurate.The OAL=2.805" and for a change I'll be using WLR primers; no mags. saluteroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fixed my Remington plastic stock by hogging out some plastic from the forearm and steel bedding a 3/8" O.D. stainless aircraft tube into it for stiffness. I could no longer bend the forearm up into the barrel. accuracy improved 200%.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote