Find
Notify
Tools

7.5X54 load data and results!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
cheers 7.5X54 MAS load info, OPEN SIGHTS, 50 yds.
  • 110gr. FMJ-carbine bullet,47gr. A2230-C, Graph case, wlr primer,oal=2.650", mild, clean 2797 to 2918 fps. 3 shot 3/4" group. Great

• 125gr. psp. same loading, 2.660"crimped, 2774 to 2843 fps. 3 shot 3/4" group.

• 110gr. pointed polycarb.red, 6.5x55 reformed cases, 41gr. 2230-C, oal=2.957",WLRM primer, a little soot, 2413 to 2489 fps. 5 shot 1/2" group!!!!

• 125psp., same loading,oal=2.777", sooty, 2373 to 2470 fps.FANTASTIC. thumb

This rifle in my opinion,contrary to my previous opinion, is the best UTILITARIAN military, bolt action rifle ever designed and built.Sadly ,however was designed about 35 years to late.

The range results reflect a rifle that is more capable than the guy that was shooting it. With open sights the front blade is only a blurr and the target only a little better. Granted this is only one rifle but if it is truely indigative of the breed than the MAS 36 is just great.

Has anyone put a scope on one of these? This one may eventually wear a scout mounted red dot pistol scope. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Bill/Oregon
    posted Hide Post
    Roger: Haven't ever scoped one, but despite that goofy bolt an dlack of safety, the MAS 36 is a well-built rifle. So is the 49/56. Good shooting!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
    – John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
    Roger: Haven't ever scoped one, but despite that goofy bolt an dlack of safety, the MAS 36 is a well-built rifle. So is the 49/56. Good shooting!

Bill, What kind of repeatability are you getting? I presume that you are reloading. By the by; the Graph brass was a pleasant quality surprise. Centered flash holes with no evidence of burrs inside or out. thumb Looks like it was anealed correctly base on coloration reforming and firing. It is far more adequate than reformed 6.5X55 brass.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Bill/Oregon
    posted Hide Post
    Roger: I am currently without an MAS36 or a 49/56. I'd have to dig for my data. Part of it was based on an article by Al Miller in either Rifle or Handloader perhaps six years ago. I used necked-up and fireformed 6.5 Swede brass. The 49/56 was a consistent two-inch gun at 100 yards, but I swapped it off after it kept doubling on me, as I was not loading with CCI mil-spec primers. Also, it was so much fun to shoot that I just plowed through the laboriosly assembled handloads. Every French firearm I have owned has been of very fine quality.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
    – John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
    To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
    And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
    Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Krochus:

Krochus! How does it shoot? roger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I just mounted the scope on the rifle tuesday but I've gotten it to shoot a couple of 2" 100yd groups. But right now I'm in the beginning stages of load devlopment.

So far the 150gr Win PSP bullets and 165gr grand Slams have both shot pretty good. The 168gr Hornady BTHP natonaml match bullets shot terribly with the exact same load as the GS

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Krochus:
    I just mounted the scope on the rifle tuesday but I've gotten it to shoot a couple of 2" 100yd groups. But right now I'm in the beginning stages of load devlopment.

So far the 150gr Win PSP bullets and 165gr grand Slams have both shot pretty good. The 168gr Hornady BTHP natonaml match bullets shot terribly with the exact same load as the GS

Please keep me posted how you do. If you'd like I'd be happy to E-Mail you what data I have using open sights so far. beerroger

One of Us
    Picture of Alberta Canuck
    posted Hide Post
    I have a scope on my MAS 36. Would have to go down and get it out of the vault to be certain, but am pretty sure the mount is a B-Square. Anyway, it is one of those that replaces the rear sight. I currently have an older Weaver T-10 mounted on it. Stock is so short that using the relatively short eye relief is no problem for me. (YMMV)

Shoots very well with the boxer-primed, 138-gr.bullet, Prvi Partisan cartridges that Connecticut Cartridge used to sell. Those are (were?) really good bullets in that ammo. So good, in fact, I pulled some to try in some other .30s. Awesome! Wish Graf's would bring in some of those bullets, not just cartridges.

I, as you, was horrified when I first got my MAS, but having used it several years now, I love the thing. Not only that, the trigger has "worn-in" quite nicely from its previous 12-pound plus state as received to just over 4-1/2 lbs. That, I can live with. It's harder to break this rifle than a steel I-beam, and it is so simple vis-a-vis # of parts, the logical way they are put together, etc., I'm not surprised it was used quite a while as a Legion battle rifle.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    waveAC Do you load For it? If so will you share? If ever I saw a jewel in the rough this is it. Please keep in touch. beerroger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bartsche:

Please keep me posted how you do. If you'd like I'd be happy to E-Mail you what data I have using open sights so far. beerroger

Private topic started cheers

Waylon Jennings

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    bartsche, I use "top of the shop" 308 data for whatever weight bullet I'm loading, no signs of pressure and very accurate.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by geekay:
    bartsche, I use "top of the shop" 308 data for whatever weight bullet I'm loading, no signs of pressure and very accurate.

Thank you. that is good information. In about 1 hr. I'll be firing the Mod 36 with loads meant for the 7.62 x 54 R as suggested by Krochus. will post results later. Roll Eyesroger

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    cheersStarted with two different bullets, 149gr. sorted psp. and Golden West 150gr fmjbt. loaded w/ 47 gr.2230-C, Graph cases,WLRM Primers.Psp,aol= 2.930" GW oal =2.970" OPEN SITES
  • 47gr. 2230-C,

psp, 2708 to 2729 fps. 1 12/2" grp.

GW 2710 to 2740 fps. mild, 4 shot 1" grp 50 yds.
  • 47.5gr. 2230-C,

psp. 2731 to2772 fps. mild, 3 touch 2ea. 1 1/2" out.

GW, 2699 to 2808fps.so so.
  • 48gr. 2230-C,

psp. 2722 fps. to 2786 fps. 3 touch, 1 an inch away.

GW, sooty, 2784 to 2828 fps. 2" group.
  • 48.5gr. 2230-C,( Duplicates 7.62 x 54 loadings, and .308 energy levels with no sign of excessive pressure).

psp., 2777 to 2826 fps., really great

GW. 2787 to 2824 fps. NG.

The nice thing about this was that it was with open sites and the front site was nothing more than a blurr and the target was only a little better.

I will be doing something with this rifle to challange its capability but right now I'm just not sure what. Except for the heavy trigger and lack of safety this is a fantastic military rifle. For sure it will become a sporter.Great day today. jumpingroger

•  
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post

Great news! after doing a bit of bedding on the fore arm and switching to 170gr FP bullets the groups have shrunk substantaly in spite of the 8# trigger pull.

Waylon Jennings

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    Krochus! beer

Was that 100yds? thumbroger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    YEP! all groups fired at 100

Waylon Jennings