New
Find
Notify
Tools

120 grain bullets and the 7mm-08
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What I'm looking for is load data for the 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip and the 120 gr Hornady v-max.

I'm going to be buying a Savage 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel, and I would like to be able to use this for both deer and coyotes/coydogs. Ideally with one powder for the two bullets.

Thanks.

I have a mind like a steel trap... rusty and illegial in 37 states.

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 50 grains of W760 for 3100 fps and teeny tiny groups. I have only shot one deer so far -- from the rear breaking the pelvis and angling forward into the lungs (175 yards).

one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Just started working up a new load with 120 grain Barnes TSX, just to see how they compare to the 140 TSX I used this year.

First round, worked up loads with RL15 & Varget. Single shots up to near max loads (book) then three shot groups. Nosler book lists max of RL15 at 44 grains and Varget at 45 grains. The max of RL15 shot right at 1.5" and the Varget max shot less than 1" (have not measured yet but all three shots within the 1" square. Loaded up some more shots with the Varget but didn't get a chance to try em this past weekend. I'll let you know how they do.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to know about the 120 TSX,,,,have considered them myself,

I use the 100 grain sierra HP for yotes and it does evil things to them.

42 grains of varget is a .5moa load in my rem mnt rifle setting just off the lands, with real low recoil

44 varget grains opens up to 1-1.5 moa

also 20 grains Blue dot is a nice quite load that works well with the same bullets, I have seen two impact using this load, almost no recoil and they will shoot a nice dime sized hole at 100.

44 varget makes .5moa groups with the 139 grain SST as well but they are a pain in the ass because they only seem to shoot real close to the lands and the short mag, capacoty of the mnt rifle is a tight fit.

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try H414. You generally can get more velocity if it will shoot in you rifle. Start around 46 gr. You may need mag primers for good ignition. I've gotten great accuracy as well as good speed with this powder with the 120 gr Ballistic Tips in the 7-08.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent information. Thanks!

I have two questions.

How temperature sensitive is the winchester powder? I will work up loads in 70-80 degree weather, but will be hunting in 10 degree weather.

Are there any other precautions besides the usual 'decrease by 10% and work up' when using different makes of bullets, eg, 120gr Nos BT and 120gr V-max?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's another vote for Varget. It's the most accurate powder in my 7mm-08 (as it is in *most* of my rifles...).

It's an especially good choice if you're concerned about temperature changes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clement:

I have two questions.

How temperature sensitive is the winchester powder? I will work up loads in 70-80 degree weather, but will be hunting in 10 degree weather.

Are there any other precautions besides the usual 'decrease by 10% and work up' when using different makes of bullets, eg, 120gr Nos BT and 120gr V-max?

My understanding is that the Winchester powder is temperature sensitive. Same with the H414, which usually has the highest velosity/accuracy in my gun but is very temperature sensitive (20 degree increase gave a 45 fps increase).

The reduce 10% for different bullets rule should be fine. I began loading my 120 TSX with Nos BT and V-Max data as that is all I had, no problems.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clement:

I have two questions.

I have used W760 with virtually no discernable "on target" differences in performance due to cold weather. I have not extensively chrono-ed in weather extremes. I try to develop my loads to work in the middle temp range for what I will be using it for, and then do not worry about it. As long as you have consistent accuracy and ignition why worry about the fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Thunderstick, that's the information I was looking for. I didn't know what the effect of the fps would be or if it would make much of a difference in either the fps or the poi.

Right now I reload for the 45-70 and the 30-30 (both with Reloader #7). They don't seem to mind what temperature it is at the ranges I shoot them. The 7-08 though, I plan on trying out at 200-250 yards so I was curious if the temperature change would have a noticeable effect at those ranges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for TSX and Varget. My Kimber Montana in 7/08 likes the 140 TSX and 43 grains of Varget. That generates near 2950fps in a 22" barrel. This load is on the verge of hot but safe in my gun.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4895 has always worked well in my 7mm08 with Sierra 160 Gamekings and I just switched to the Barnes 140 TSX and it still shoots tight groups. Good Luck

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dwight,

IMR 4895 & H4895 shoot good in my gun also. 40.5 grains of IMR4895 with the 140 TSX is a sub MOA load but at only 2680 fps. The same load of H4895 gives 100 fps more but opens up a little.

You may want to try some H4350 with that 140 TSX. A 101% charge in my Winchester brass (49.5 grains) gives 2850 fps, no pressure signs, sub MOA at 100 yards and no temperature changes. 4 for 4 on deer this year with this load, none went further than 50 yards (and that was a low light mistake on angle). Good luck.

posted Hide Post
varget and imr 4064 works great with my 7mm-08 in model 7 action and shilen barrel. im using a maximum load from the nosler manual. the 120 grain ballistic tip shoots a .20" group at 100yards. its .43" at 200 yards.

Posts: 11 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
varget works well in both my 7mm-08's,tried imr 4350,4064,4895,rl-15,h4350,h414,varget was the one that shot best, but i shoot 140 partitions,

Posts: 19 | Location: Minn | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a 10 pt buck and a mid-sized doe this year with the Barnes TSX 120 gr bullet.
Loaded with 50 gr IMR 4350 CCI 250 primer in Graf & Sons brass in my 7x57.
Not chronied,but should have been around 3000 fps.
Groups were about 1" for the first load I picked out of the manual.No bullet seating science,just made sure they would feed,and clear the lands.
That Ruger M-77 MKII seems to shoot anything well.
Both shots were 125 yards broadside shots.
The buck dropped so fast,I thought I missed.The doe took about 2 steps.
Heart lung shots = zero ruined meat.
Not much of a test I know,but I WILL be using more.

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote