New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone reload for 7.62x39?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know it's silly to reload something you can buy cheaper but I never was real smart.

I'd be interested in hearing your loads and results if you'd like to share a few ideas.

P45

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reloaded for a Ruger Mini 30 that had been accurized. I used Win cases, Win 123 gr sp bullets and AA 1680. I was able to keep 5 shot groups inside 1.5" at 100 yds.

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload for the 7.62 x 39mm, but use only cast bullets in my as-issued SKS. The bullet is a gas checked, spire point of sorts and weighs ~150gr. wi. gas check and lube. When sized to .314", it can shoot into 1" @ 50 yd. all day. The two powders I've used are 2400 (13 to 15gr.) and WC 820 (13 to 15gr.), but at the 13gr. charge, they barely cycle the action. To avoid that problem and lead deposits on the gas piston, I remove it and work the action by hand. Btw, I've also learned you don't have to full-length size the brass to the extent that the sizing die makes firm contact with the shell holder. A business card folded in half and inserted bet. the die and shell holder should reduce the case enough so that it feeds smoothly. Hope this helps, ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Pecos, I use the Sierra 150-grain .308" flatbase spitzer and the Speer .311" 180-grain roundnose in my 7.62X39mms - two SKS, a Mini-30 (subsequently ditched!!) and a CZ 527 carbine. My loads are 31.5 grains of H335 with the 150 and 28.5 grains H335 with the 180. Vel. of these loads @ 10' is 2300 and 2100 FPS respectively from the CZ carbine with 18.5" barrel. The 150 grainer gives 1.5 MOA, and the 180 does 1 MOA from the CZ - not quite so good from the SKS's. Not worth a damn from the Mini-30, but nothing ever shot well from that clunker!! That's why I no longer have it!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you. This is EXACTLY the sort or answers I'm looking for. I haven't tried your powder, Safari.

I thought I would start out with 4198 & Win 125gr SP bullets. But I also want to move into cast bullets with this rifle. The only bullet I've seen that I like for it is 150 gr.

I'll be using a CZ bolt rifle so won't have to worry about cycle problems, etc.

Keep the answers coming and thanks for the help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load for my Ruger Mini-30. Mine is an older model (80's) and I am told it is .308. My best load so far is 24.3gr of AA 1680 with 125gr Sierra .308. 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with some fliers now and then. I just had the trigger done, bedded the stock, changed the gas port and installed a shock buffer. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, hopefully the fliers are gone. I will be working up some loads with 135gr Sierra's with R-7, IMR 4227 and AA 1680, hopefully I can get them to shoot, I have a bunch. I have tried the .310's and can't get them to group under 2.5 inches.
My goal with the Mini is to get the most accurate load I can, load as many as I have brass for and let my two young boys shoot shoot shoot, then load some more and do it all over again. Charcoal, painballs, eggs, paper, whatever I can find to get them into shooting.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload the 7.62x39 for two rifles, a Mini 30 and a Ruger MkII model 77. I have gotten pretty good accuracy from both using .308 caliber bullets and Reloader 7 powder. Of the powders that I have tried, Re 7 was the most accurate in both my rifles. I have used the 135g? single shot pistol bullet, 125g Prohunter, 125g psp corelockt, and 125g BarnesX. Seems like I never see any deer when I carry the 7.62x39!!, but my wife killed one whitetail with the Prohunter and they seemed to work well enough.

I don't have my loading notes with me so I don't remember the exact charge but I found it in an older issue of Handloader. I like the round as a plinker/shooter plus light duty deer hunting. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For 123 to 130 grainers, Reloader 7 is great in my CZ 527. You get a full case to slightly compressed 2550 fps and fine accuracy. For pure FUN, don't forget the many .312 pistol bullets with any fast powder, but Lil'gun is best if you want some speed over 2600 fps.

Finally, the 7.62X39 is noe of the very best cases to shot .224 bullets with Sabots. These can be had from J&D components (801)225-7007. 3350 fps with 55 grainers is no problem. The key to matching your rifle's non-sabot accuracy is uniform neck tension, but that's half the fun!

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sabot - Like the CZ rifles, I've read NOTHING but good stuff about the Lil' Gun powder. In fact, I dang near bought a can of it the other day. Instead I got a pound of old 4198 that I've shot a ton of with good results.

Clearly it's time I worked up the nerve to try some new things and apparently the new addition in my rifle cabinet is one that would appreciate this powder. I'll give it a whirl. Promise.

And I NEVER would have thought of firing a .22 sabot round in this rifle. I ain't that smart.

Thanks for opening some new doors for me to sneak in. I may be in touch with you for some further instructions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a comment to add to what Sabot said above.

I have been experimenting with the Hornady 85gr. XTP pistol bullet in 7.62 X 39 with several powders.

Highest velocities have been obtained with IMR 4227 so far. ( 2900 FPS )
H4198 and VVN 120 are slightly slow for these bullets, I ran out of room in the case before any signs of scary stuff appeared.

The conversation I had with the Hornady tech folks proved enlightening. They report that some bullets have shed their jackets in the bore when pushed to rifle velocities/ pressures. They said the 85gr. XTP ( .312 Dia. ) should be fine in this application.

This is not a benchrest capable combo when fired fron an AK type rifle, but is not half bad when compared to the steel case stuff. The big hollow point makes a real thump on water bottles.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I meant to ask about your 11th Light Infantry Brigade patch. Were you a member of the 11th? I was in an artillery unit attached to the 11th/Americal Division in Vietnam from Dec70 to Sep71. We wore uniforms in the field with the 11th, 198th, and 196th logos of the Americal. However I think we were the 11th!! I was an artillery 1st Lieutenant and worked as a forward observer for A 4/3(Old Guard) and a fire direction officer for a 155mm battery at Fat City north of Chu Lai. We participated in operation Lam Son 719 at Khe Sahn, Vandergriff, Rockpile, etc. on the DMZ while the ARVNs made an excursion into Laos-- Long ago but not forgotten.

Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best loads with a SKS are using the Lee 155gn GC bullet,
WW, water quenched, sized 0.312.

18.0 H4227, CCI 200 primer, 1754 fps

24.0 IMR 4198, CCI 200 primer, 1768 fps

Posts: 34 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With Quote