Find
Notify
Tools

The need for proper bullet placement
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted
Well it has been over 7-8 years since I last bagged one of these. I not only blew the shot (high to the right) but the thing is still running around acting like nothing has happened. I don`t think it is a case of "not enough gun", the last one I shot fell to a mild 7-08 140 gr load and this was a stout load of R22 under a 129 gr Hornady SP6.5x55. You`ll note penitration was excellent, with a good exit wound.I guess the adage hit`em where it hurts is true. A shot to the extremities just can`t be relied on to stop them no matter what the gun....
homer homer
the point of impact is the high right "shoulder". Apparently nothing else was hit and it is not fatal.

This is the exit hole, note the wound channel is large enough to see right through.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Smiler

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should have used a better expanding bullet, like a BT or a MK for that larger wound channel. Big Grin

Bummer Joe, but at least it's still working.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ol' Joe

Such a good hit and no a sign of blood. Was the tracking hard.

Looks like a PACT, if so they'll fix it for the cost of parts.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I see you have the "drag" wrapped around the quarry... hope you didn't hurt your back.

Yes, I am overdue for bagging a book specimen of those...

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes - the old superficial flesh wound. I never have that problem - I normally whack those beasties squarely between the eyes .... Roll Eyes

Touch wood, my Pro Chrono has had a long and blessed life. A toast to VERY large shooting areas! Razzer

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw one awhile back I liked better though. Hate to hurt your feelings!

Was a nearly new Dodge diesel p/up with a crease across the hood about 3' long.

Kinda warped things, including the shooters mind! hehe, glad it wasn't my trk. His buddy wasn't too happy about the situation either. Last I heard he was still waiting on the guys check.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saw one awhile back I liked better though. Hate to hurt your feelings!

Was a nearly new Dodge diesel p/up with a crease across the hood about 3' long.

Kinda warped things, including the shooters mind! hehe, glad it wasn't my trk. His buddy wasn't too happy about the situation either. Last I heard he was still waiting on the guys check.

I saw something similar about 30 years ago.

I was with a co-worker at his families hunting property and he decided to take a couple of sighters useing the side of his pick up box as a rest. He was shooting a scoped Ruger 44 mag semi-auto and put a nice big hole in the top box rail of the off side of his truck.
I probably shouldn`t have laughted, he hasn`t had me back there since.....or maybe it was the retelling of the story at work the next monday that ticked him off rotflmo

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way back in 1958 when I was 15. Was in the middle of an old Ford p/up with two guys chasing coyotes across the prairies 40+mph like we used to do things til DoW got on our asses.

Guy on the right had his '06 muzzle up. It went off between us an took out the upper rim on the back window, glass and all and my hearing in the right ear. Both ears have been ringing since.

Damned long time to suffer from such stupidity.

I'm a radical SOB on a lot of things.
Anyone sticks a gun in a vehicle muzzle up gets a prime lesson and attitude adjustment.

Either muzzle down, or I ain't riding in there. Don't matter whether they hand me the bolt or not. Muzzle down!!

Much easier to live without a foot, than it would be without a head.

Think about it folks.

A few yrs ago I read someone claiming: "the majority of gun accidents happen in, or around vehicles". Something else to consider.

Saw another old Chevy p/up, one of those 58 or 59's with the double ridges down the hood. One had a hole thru it. Old Scout Dad owned for yrs with a mud buried floor mat had a 12ga hole thur the floor and he didn't know about it those 15yrs he owned it on the ranch.

Only time I ever did such a thing, was over the roof of Dad's white Pontiac wagon. Fan shape bare metal from the powder blast. Yes sir, Dad was NOT the least bit happy about that either.
But, so far I haven't put a hole thru one accidentally.

Not long ago I asked about a window rest. Had some advice passed to me: "don't shoot your mirror off!". Sounded like experience talking.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote