Find
Notify
Tools

.358 Core-Lokt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted
I've seen it sectioned and it looks like the old core-lockt design with thick base and noticeable mechanical lock. It looks tough as hell but will it open reliably on small deer? I'm looking at using it out of my 350 Rem mag at about 2650-2700 fps. Shots under 150 yards. I hope to hammer a hog with it but I need something that will open well on deer. Anyone have any experience with it in a 350, 35 Whelen or 358 Win?

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What weight bullet? What point shape? R-P made 200 and 250 Corelokts, the former in RN and pointed versions.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
200 grain PSP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am working with this bullet right now in a 350 RM Ruger MKII. I am loading 58gr. of AA2230 for 2780 fps. 59gr. gave me over 2800 fps. The standard deviation was lower with 58, and 2780 is more than you actually get from factory loads. The velocity champ in the 350 and 35 Whelen is Ramshot TAC, but I am going to save what I have left for my 400 Whelen and my son's 308 target gun.
A friend shot a deer with the 200gr. in the factory loading from a Mod. 7. Broad side at about 100 yds., full penetration, no locomotion. These bullets are said to be tougher that Hornady's 200 SP.
It looks to me to be the best compromise in the under 250gr. bullets for toughness and price.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Mine is a Ruger as well. I'm actually using TAC but I've only loaded to 57 grains. Should be lower pressure but good for about 2700 fps. I have 200 Interlocks too, I just need to get the the range to see which shoots better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI: I have been shooting some bullets that I recently received from Midway. I was having a fit trying to get them to shoot accurately. Upon weighing the bullets, I found them to have a large variation. Also, some of the noses are not formed properly. Folds in the jacket and a funny constriction just below the tip. The malformed tip by itself would not concern me, but it is an indication of some other defect as shooting tests have shown. Properly sorted and inspected bullets shoot like I expect. This is not the performance I have gotten in other lots of bullets. It makes me wonder if these were supposed to be blems and due to demand were sold as good ones.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote