THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Ballistic Question: What is the return velocity of a bullet fired in the air?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic Question: What is the return velocity of a bullet fired in the air?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan: This reminds me of the last several years of my Police career which I spent in the Harbor Unit in Seattle, Washington. I preferred the graveyard shift so every New Years Eve I would get in my patrol boat and head out for the middle of a large lake in the middle of Seattle! Once out there I would turn on the radar on to check for oncoming vessels and then turn out the running lights of the craft (did not want to be a target)! At about 10 minutes to midnight literally thousands of people in the city would drag out their saturday night specials and deer Rifles and what ever else would go bang and touch some off! Then the lake would literally come alive with PLOOP PLOOP PLOOPING sounds and if it was calm the ripple rings could be seen everywhere! If it wasn't so scary it would have been laughable. Yes on occassion folks are hit in the tops of their heads and killed by these falling projectiles that are coming straight down! The bullets shot at lesser angles than straight up are of course more dangerous!
There is an airport in Seattle (King County International) that vacuums up the runway every couple of days but an hour or two after midnight on New Years they send out the suck up truck! This is to gather the nights accumulation of heavy lead bullets that I assume would harm the jets that land and takeoff there if they suck up a bullet.
Use caution if you decide to experiment!
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote