New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for Browning BOSS rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got a 7mm Rem Mag A-Bolt Stalker with BOSS and the system really seems to work well. Very good groups with factory ammo. I'm thinking ahead here and curious as to how you reload for a BOSS system.

Should I use the Browning settings for the bullet weight that I'm loading and work the load up just like you would on any other rifle? I'm thinking that the BOSS is a dampener and when I get the right load, it should match their 'test loads'.

Since the possible combinations are approaching infinite, I would appreciate recommendations from anybody that has already been down this road.

Thanks.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started with the recommended settings but the optimum setting would vary with even a change in powder charge using the same bullet.It has to be adjusted for each load if you want optimum accuracy.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
I started with the recommended settings but the optimum setting would vary with even a change in powder charge using the same bullet.It has to be adjusted for each load if you want optimum accuracy.

I would work up the load to max. accuracy with the factory specified settings for the bullet you are using, and when that load was achieved, I'd then start fooling with the BOSS to see if that can add to the accuracy of the whole system.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got three BOSS rifles. Your thinking too hard into this. The BOSS is a reloaders dream. All one must do is create a round generating as much velocity as safely possible and then tune the BOSS to that load.

I really don't see the need of traditional load development going by trial and error to match harmonics. That is the designed intent of the BOSS.

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FURocious, I am glad to hear of your approval with the BOSS. I have had limited feedback of owners of BOSS rifles, especially one's that I think know what excellent accuracy really is. Having said that, do you or anyone else know of an aftermarket BOSS that can be put on 'regular' rifle barrels?
Regards--D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FURocious:
I've got three BOSS rifles. Your thinking too hard into this. The BOSS is a reloaders dream. All one must do is create a round generating as much velocity as safely possible and then tune the BOSS to that load.

I really don't see the need of traditional load development going by trial and error to match harmonics. That is the designed intent of the BOSS.

I have a 270win in a Browning Eclipes and although most bullets that i have loaded were this easy, some I was unable to tune and had to change powder. The boss can be a blessing or a curse, as every gun is an "individual" and as we know responds to differnt combinatons of components differntly. The curse is when I'm too hardheaded to change powder.I have pulled out alot hair trying to fine tune when all I needed to do was try a differnt powder.

If you find a combination that gets moa accuracy with out playing with the BOSS, it has been my experience that it will fine tune into a very accurate gun.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before considering adding a boss to any other rifle you may want to consider the following information.

"The bedding is also part of the BOSS system. The barrel is free floated from the receiver forward, but the action itself is bedded upon two blocks of a hard rubber compound of a specific durometer (hardness/softness). This bedding system, Browning found, was the secret to getting the BOSS system to give repeatable results"

The above paragraph was taken from an article located at the following link.

http://home.earthlink.net/~hwsportsman/Greywolf1.html

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I'm with FURocious. The first part of the work-up should be to see how hot and fast you can go. At this first stage you might as well set the BOSS wherever the manual recommends for the bullet weight you're testing. If the hottest safe load gives you decent accuracy there is a good chance you'll get really good accuracy with some tuning.

I have played with this, but at one point I set the BOSS on my 300WinMag to 8.5 and somehow it shot EVERYTHING well. From 125gr Ballistic Tips to 220gr Sierras and Noslers. One of these days I will start tweaking again, but first I'm going to exhaust the stockpile of my favorite load: 168gr MatchKing over 73gr RL-22 and WLRM primer.

When I mention a cartridge,the rifles involved:
22LR Cooey SingleShot | 22 Hornet 40sCZ | 223Rem CZ 527 Varmint
30-06 Husqvarna Sporter | 300 WinMag A-BoltII S/S BOSS | 458 WinMag Ruger #1

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper, thanks for the feedback. I was considering finding a boss type system and trying on a couple of rifles. I have seen them for some .22 rimfires, but not for larger centerfires. I just thought it might make it easier to shoot a load I liked that worked in one rifle, and then tune the 'boss' in several other rifles to keep the load constant.

Regardes--Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I'm up for it, I can place a five shot group into damn near the same hole at 100yds with all my BOSS equipped rifles. (I use the CR BOSS) Shooting at 300yds supported, I seldom get groups bigger than MOA.

My .308 WIN Eclipse w/BOSS was my first BOSS rifle and I was a fanatical scientist about that gun, shooting test groups to find the sweet spots for 4 bullet weights. I got them all to shoot the same hole. This experience got me very good at "BOSSing guns around" Smiler Now, it only takes me a few "2-shot groups" to tune a round.

I also Re-BOSSed those 4 different bullet weights (110gr, 150gr, 165gr, 180gr) after I got my CR BOSS weight. The difference between the muzzle break BOSS and the CR BOSS called for different sweet spot setting. (Actually in the end, I just have to subtract 1.7 from the muzzle break BOSS setting if I want to change BOSS adapters)

My 300 WSM, I got lucky and the factory recommended "sweet spot" was perfect. Thank god because ammo for that gun starts to add up.

Simdow,

A BOSS will change barrel harmonics vastly more, probably exponentially more, than changing powder. I would bet my next paycheck some other demon was at work ruining your efforts.

I also found a bit of information from a Browning technician. The BOSS operates on a continuum. Meaning, if you run out of adjustment needing to go further back than zero, you should go out to 10 and work back down.

FISH: In summary, every BOSS equipped rifle is a sub MOA shooter out of the box, capable of same-hole accuracy. Gone are the worries the gun you just bought won't shoot well and the prospect of complex load development crusades to find accuracy.

I'm going to venture from that insurance I've purchased with all of my rifles to date and buy a WIN FWT. 270 WSM. Because I really love the looks of that gun, and I want at least 1 controlled round feed gun to at least say I have one and can evaluate/validate the CRF feature in the field. However, I'm already getting that worry "Oh I hope that I don't end up with a gun that won't shoot my preferred bullet weight accurately"!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got them all to shoot the same hole. This experience got me very good at "BOSSing guns around" Now, it only takes me a few "2-shot groups" to tune a round.

FURocious, can you share your technique for tuning a BOSS with 2 shot groups. I have a BAR in 300WSM with a BOSS. I have it nailed now, but it took me a while.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

OK, maybe more than a few groups, but I can get a gun tuned with less than a 15 rounds. When I BOSS a gun, I place the forend into a suede lined "Bulls bag" or a butterfly type sandbag, so the front of the gun is locked in, much like a firm grip from a shooter. (This way, when your zero off the bag won't be too much different than the zero obtained with the rifle in the bag) I leave the stock of the gun in my shoulder, and let the gun recoil naturally. It will slide in the bag and push my body back, but that is what it does in the field. Just need to make sure you place the gun back into the bag at the same spot each time.

1. The first thing I do is set the sweet spot to the factory recommended setting. I fire two very well aimed shots (This might take a couple minutes too).
2. Analyze the group and I make bold adjustments (4/10ths turn) right from the beginning to see which way I need to tune.
3. Once I establish my right tuning direction I turn by 2/10ths until I either see the bullet go into the same hole, or until I see the following groups start to open up again.
4. If I get a repeated same hole group, I just leave it alone. If, however, I see my next setting open up a group larger than what I was getting, I then go the other direction by 1/10th adjustments.

Now, you can take into consideration the varying field conditions and temperatures you might face while out hunting. I know that change in temperature effects velocity, thus giving different harmonics, so you can either BOSS the gun in the same temps you will be hunting in, or if your like me, you just accept a small varition of change.

I think one is still better off in this regard having a gun that can shoot same hole in the nicer temps and then bringing it out in inclimate weather, than a gun that shoots only 1,1/2" groups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When does patent expire on the BOSS? Maybe other makers will offer it, or some aftermarket kit will become available.

There used be a company called QUE that sold a BOSS imitation. It used some kind of heat-shrink metal to clamp onto the muzzle. They seem to be out of business now. Wonder if they got sued by Browning/Winchester?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting MarkL, I didn't think of a possible patent issue on the boss system and maybe that is why I can't seem to find a boss type systenm to put on any of my rifles. If any one knows of one I am sure interested.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting MarkL, I didn't think of a possible patent issue on the boss system and maybe that is why I can't seem to find a boss type systenm to put on any of my rifles. If any one knows of one I am sure interested.

Duno if this is what you are looking for but , here you go.

http://www.homestead.com/accuracyriflesystems3/index.html

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote