New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic scale sensitivity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought an RCBS MicroPro (AC power) Electronic Scale.

Wow. "Sensitive" might be understating it. [Razz]

RCBS takes up almost the entire user's manual warning of it's sensitivity, required delicate handling, required warm-up, (!!??) [Roll Eyes] re-calibration ... etc.

Fluorescent lights off - tumbler off - plugged into a surge suppressor - fan off - exhale out side of mouth - wait (hope) for the decimal to stop blinking ... you get the picture.

I've little (and declining) confidence in it.

I'm close to chucking (pun?) it and going to a 10-10 or 5-0-5.

Your experience?

TBC

[ 08-14-2003, 17:45: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt any other scale will be significantly less sensitive, for what it's worth. Stray breezes and other things will always get them moving.

Better to maybe rig a little baffle around it to block the interference.

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old rcbs electronic scale and find that it is very consistant and is not noticeably affected by outside sources.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a fan on or a heater running it can make your scale go nuts. We had a big gas heater hanging in the shop and when that would come on I'd have to wait 'till it was done cycling before I could weigh anything. Some people reload outside but I could never make that work with a scale.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Powder Pro RCBS scale and nothing affects it accept maybe causing the air to move around it. It does need to be warmed up for 20-30 minutes to stabilize first, that's a given. Strange enough tho, my dads PP scale doesn't seem to need the warm up like mine does and maintains it's calibration from use to use. Plug it in and it's dead nuts on, 30 minutes later it still is too. Mine will gradually climb in weight with the 308.6gr check weight on it a grain or two before stabilizing.

I did try to use a Vibrishine trickler next to the PP scale once, the scale went berzerk and froze up completely. Unplugged it and started over, the Vibrishine was sent back and I got the PP dispensor to replace it. [Smile]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is more of a thread on susceptibility than sensitivity.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two electronic scales. An RCBS and a Pact. Both made by the same company the way they look. I have left mine plugged in constantly ever since I've owned them. This has probably been over five years with no ill effects. They both still work great. Moisture is what causes most electronics to fail and by keeping them pluged in and warm I think they actually last longer.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote