Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing live primers....?
 Login/Join

posted
New to reloading.. Have ruined few casings.
anyone know safe way to remove the live primer...?(boxer).. don't have to reuse,just make
recycling safe for unusable brass....
thanks
crshootist

Posts: 8 | Location: Lakewood,Ca. | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spray some WD-40 into the case and that should kill the primer.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you....

<1badassmagnum>
posted
I just remove live primers the same way as used ones,just dont hammer the primer,use normal working pressure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a live primer go off in normal decapping and I've done a good many salvaging the brass from handloads of unknown origin and stuff old enough to possibly have a mercuric primer. Safety glasses, a glove on the handle hand, and standing to one side of the press are all the precautions I take.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
1: I am far too shicken sh!t to recap a live primer..
2: if it's just to throw away, 3 dips of 3-in-1 or a squirt of wd40 should kill it
3: if you are bound and determined to reuse the case, then empty it, put in the gun, with ear and eye protection, and cook it off.. clean the gun affer..

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER.. no matter what a POSeur might tell you, resize a loaded case

btw, should a primer cook off, while you have a pin and sizing die around it, you have an EXPLOSION on your reloading bench..

I plan to be an OLD reloader, not a bold one

jeffe

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1badassmagnum:
I just remove live primers the same way as used ones,just dont hammer the primer,use normal working pressure.

I agree. I've done this myself, without mishap.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Have deprimed live primers on occasion. Be sure to not let the primers build up in the catch receptacle. A friend had a very bad experience doing this when a catcher partly full of live decapped primers detonated. Luckily no one was hurt. After they are decapped place in a bucket with water or oil to deter from detonation.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
They're cheap so why not just fire off the empty case? It's the safeest way unquestionably.
Is it really worth taking any risks no matter how minor they are?
WD40 will work too but do you want to get the inside of the case oily? That's the componant that costs the most. Cleaning it after is more of a pain in the ass that firing it off.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The best way is to pop them off in your rifle.
If you feel like experimenting, spray a bit of WD40 or put a few drops of oil on a couple of your primers / primed cases. Let it set a few days, a week if you have time. Put the unloaded cases in your rifle and pull the trigger.
Mine fired!!
let me know if yours act different... [Eek!]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I water soaked some primed brass for a couple days, dumped the water, and let them air dry for a few days. Guess what, a lot of them worked just fine when they were snapped off.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
"Originally posted by 1badassmagnum: I just remove live primers the same way as used ones,just dont hammer the primer,use normal working pressure. I agree. I've done this myself, without mishap, with normal brass. NEVER TRY to decap a live primer from military brass that has crimped-in primers!! [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, for your help....
I think I'll go the safe route, spray with wd-40
and put in recycle bucket....
I like to be safe then sorry.....
Later
crshootist [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
dear sirs:

New to this web sight and have been browsing through reading comments. I have been reloading for almost 30 years and this primmer thing comes up on a regular basis. I was raised on a farm where from the time I was young I worked with my dad blasting rocks. There was one thing I learned and that is that if you plan to keep your fingers, treat explosives with respect no matter how small they are.

The man who said shoot them off wAS and so was the guy with the WD40.I have always used penetrating oil.I then use a bit of rubbing alcohol to remove the oil.

Grijim.

Posts: 21 | Location: Prince Rupert ,B.C. | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"

posted 01-20-2003 08:16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
craigster states: "I water soaked some primed brass for a couple days, dumped the water, and let them air dry for a few days. Guess what, a lot of them worked just fine when they were snapped off."

As I am such a smart guy, I confused the box of primed with the unprimed cases and expedited them into my very special and potent brass-cleaning-agent.

When I removed them 24 hours later, I realized what happened. After the decapping etc procedure I decided to keep the primers and found that 90 %
worked on first impact and a further 7 % went off after a second or third try.
I tried 20 primers altogether.

The solvent I use is strong enough to wipe off more than 90% of the residues without effort.

What I want to say is: BE CAREFUL
(but, on the other hand, I never had a life primer going off when decapping SLOWLY).

[ 01-29-2003, 04:01: Message edited by: waitaminit ]

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote