THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: How do you buy your brass...New or already fired

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How do you buy your brass...New or already fired
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks All,

I was curious about once fired brass from other sources. I mainly either buy new or use factory brass fired in my gun, but for some reason find myself in need of brass for several cartridges right now. I thought it would be a bit cheaper to go the once fired route, but after all your inputs, I'll stick with "winchester bag-o brass" as somebody described it.

Thanks Again,

Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the circumstances.........I buy new brass for most anything.
But if I'm sitting at a bench at the rifle range and I watch somebody using brand new rounds in a caliber I want the brass for I get it if they don't want it. Esspecially if they are using a decent bolt gun and there are no obvious problems with it. I don't use it for BG hunting but makes great practice ammo and leaves my new brass for more serious tasks.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the .45 I buy once fired, I have bought from many suppliers on the internet. I shoot IDPA and ISPC matches, and lose most of it anyways. When I bought new, Starline seem to take the most reloads.
For the rifle I buy surplus boxer primed non-corrosive ammo, shoot it,then reload it. I buy some new if there is a sale.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle brass: I buy new in bulk, always start with new brass. Pistol brass: I usually buy bulk brass to start a new caliber I am trying, but for just plinking-type pistol shooting I will take on used brass if in good condition.

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i've picked up lots of brass at a range too but it seems like it's mostly 9 mm. i wish more non reloaders shot .357 or 38 spl which is what i want to pick up. i hope if you're picking up brass at the range you have a tumbler to clean it up in.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL..................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If you're interested in good performance buy new brass. If you just want it to go bang then used is ok. Brass has memory. Even when resized. If you want good accuracy. good chambering, and good extraction then buy new and dedicate the purchase to one particular rifle. At least this has been my experience over 40 years of reloading.

Amen!

Posts: 26 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote