New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What to use to neutralize primers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thank you Gringo (no offense) for the sound advice and warning. You know, the two texan girls I have been friends with were sure fiesty and strong willed. Glad I steared clear of them in the end and married an Idaho girl!

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shilen30,

I forgot to mention that there might have been a little powder in the carpet also, might have had something to do with blowing the bag off Mr. Hoover.

All I can say was is I had one pissed off South Texas girl on my hands.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I think you'll have to dissolve the priming mix in sodium hydroxide or sodium carbonate before it's safe. That'll convert the main lead styphnate component to sodium styphnate (which is an explosive, but relatively insensitive) and lead oxide or carbonate. It'll still be a toxic mess.

Best way to get rid of primers is to detonate them, and firing them in the case is safer than decapping live primers. I do that on occasion when one gets seated upside down or some such, but it makes me nervous.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote