New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unfired brass - Neck Runout
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it typical for new brass to have more neck runout, after FL sizing, than fired brass after FL sizing. I forget the numbers, but the new brass I ran thru the die has much more runout than the fired brass thru the same die. In 270 wsm and 30-06.

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are alot of dents in the outer body of new brass that seem to come out with firing. Sometimes these dents will cause the needle to swing .002"-.003" pretty easily on my gauge. Other than that I'd say it shouldn't matter. I never full length size new brass. I simply do a "inside mouth lube" and run over the expander ball of a hornady die or run them over my lyman m-die. I'll get people arguing with me but the way I see it the manufacturer isn't "resizing" them before loading and there are plenty of reports of good 1/2moa factory ammo out there if it happens to match the harmonics of the barrel. As reloaders we should be able to "outdo" the manufacturers because WE get to pick our powder and seating depth. I DO NOT BELIEVE concentricity below .005" plays any part in accuracy in a hunting rifle out to 350 yds. If you are pushing for more than that you are more than welcome to spend the time to do it.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of dies induce run out.

Try measuring run out on cases that have gone through the die with the decapping stem removed.

The expander ball assembly can induce a lot of run out.

A floating carbide ball can help.

I favor Redding bushing style "Type S" dies.

I like to keep my runout to .003" or less.

Is it a big whup? Probably not, but the run out Nazi fairy cast a spell on me one night when I was dreaming about reloading.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is it typical for new brass to have more neck runout, after FL sizing, than fired brass after FL sizing.

YES! If your chamber is concentric it beats the heck out of "sizing" brass during the manufacturing process. There should be NO runout in a fired case if your chamber is right.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THe virgin brass went into the die very easily, did not even need lube. I think it was small in barrel diameter that it did not totaly engage the die wall, so it was not held concentric. Oh well, just have to shoot a bunch of rounds to make it better

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can believe what bob338 said!! Bulk brass has been through the mill, literally. Dies cannot straighten new factory brass adequately, now fire it in a good chamber and you are in business.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote