New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet seating?
 Login/Join

<Nimrod>
posted
I'm new to reloading. If I resize a case and seat a bullet long in the case, can I then chamber it to find the rifling and then seat the bullet .003-.005 shorter?

The gun is a Rem 700bdl SS in 7mmRM.

<George Capriola>
posted
Nimrod,
I suppose that's one way to do it.
Another way is to use a Stoney Point bullet comparator, which you can get from Sinclair International ( www.sinclairintl.com ).
You can use culled cases, and seat bullets for use as dummies, and use them to set up your seating dies.
I use culled cases, for each caliber I reload. I size the case and decap it, then slit the neck with a grinding disc in a Dremel tool. I can insert a bullet, with some drag on it. Then I chamber the bullet, and measure it with a Sinclair bullet comparator. I'll take 3-4 measurements, and write down the maximum C.O.L. With the primer removed, I can push out the bullet with a pin punch. I determine maximum C.O.L. for every different bullet I'm loading. I store the cases in the die boxes for each caliber.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod:
I'm new to reloading. If I resize a case and seat a bullet long in the case, can I then chamber it to find the rifling and then seat the bullet .003-.005 shorter?

The gun is a Rem 700bdl SS in 7mmRM.

A sized case may have enough pressure to allow the bullet to "jam" into the lands, not just "kiss 'em." George's recommendation will result in a more accurate measurement and consistent seating.

I use a Sinclair OAL tool to make my measurements. I set the bullet just against the lands by using the Sinclair rod against the base and a cleaning rod through the barrel at the tip of the bullet. This way I can move it back and forth, on and off the lands. (kind of like a cob of corn with a pair of those silly little prong holders!) I can now set it quite gently in place and take my measurement.

The folks at Sinclair International would be more than happy to explain it further. Friendly crew at that place.

www.sinclairintl.com/

The Stoney Point tool works abit differently, but both are easy and allow repeatability.

Luck to you.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Nimrod,

Ive been loading for quite a few years but I too am just trying to figure out the custom seating thing. I recently made a post about this subject myself and heres what I tried after some input from the guys.

I used a 165 grain bullet in my 30-06 and just seated it enough to hold on good. I then chambered it gently and repeatedly did this while seating it a little farther each time until the bolt finally closed. Then I took a full turn of the seating plug and put it in that much more. That did the trick but the problem was that I was still at 3.750" long!! So I decided to work up some loads with a col of 3.26 and then work DOWN the depth in .01" increments while checking accuracy and watching for pressure signs.. This may not be a good way to do it but its what I decided to try after learning that Ill never get to the lands in my gun.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Nimrod>
posted
Thanks guys!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
ANOTHER WAY TO DO IT IS TO SEAT A BULLET LONG IN THE CASE (IF THE DUMMY ROUND HAS BEEN FIRED IN THE GUN YOU ARE LOADING FOR DEPRIME,AND PARTIAL NECK SIZE WORKS BEST)NOW WITH A CANDLE OR LIGHTER SMUDG THE BULLET AND CHAMBER IT, NOW YOU CAN SEE WHERE THE BULLET IS ACTUALLY TOUCHING THE LANDS AND CAN ADJUST FROM THERE. REMEMBER TO CHECK AND RECHECK BEFORE LOADING I ALLWAYS KEEP THE DUMMY ROUND WITH THE DIES,MARK THE COL WITH A MARKER ON THE CASE FOR FUTURE REFERANCE.

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nimrod: You got it almost perfect the first time, despite complicated advice about other methods. Snowmaker's suggestion makes it a little easier to see the land marks on the bullet.

When you seat the bullet just a tad long, you will be able to see the marks made by the barrel lands (you've got to be really ham-handed to jamb the bullet into the lands hard enough to stick it!) Seat your bullet progressively deeper until reinserting the cartridge results in no more little bright marks (you may have to use a fresh round at some point). You will now be at maximum OAL for this bullet/chamber combination. This length may or may not be optimum for accuracy with a given load, but it is a good place to start. I think you may intuitively know more about reloading than some of our veterans.

[ 06-26-2002, 23:35: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Nimrod>
posted
Thanks Stonecreek, I've been readin' bout this stuff for bout a year and talkin' to the guys that do it more than I. I have to know what I'm do'in before I do it. If I can do the same thing in less words($$), I'll do it!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

There are a number of methods used to determine OAL and it really depends upon the level of precision desired by the shooter.

I used the method you describe for many years with fine results.

Recently, I have become involved in long distance varmint hunting, prairie dogs at 500 plus. This caused me to try and improve the quality of my hand loads.

When using a sliding bullet in the neck, one sets the bullet deeper until no land marks are visible. You should now be close to the mark....but how close? And it is difficult to duplicate this even with the same bullet and case if one is trying for consistency to the thousandths. This is where the precision tools come into play. While their use may sound complicated in an oral dissertation, they are really quite simple. Also, I can set a dummy round up much faster with the OAL tools.

Additionally, when I referred to the bullet jamming into the lands, I did not mean having it actually getting stuck there. I simply prefer to not degrade match bullets.

I guess it really depends upon what the shooter is trying to achieve and what kind of shooting is involved.

My apologies for the "complicated" post.

~Holmes

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
[QB]That did the trick but the problem was that I was still at 3.750" long!!QB]

This brings up another consideration. Make sure the rounds are not too long for your magazine. For single shots, it really doesn't matter. But, for bolts, your max. length is often dictated by the magazine, not the chamber.

Good luck,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY,

This is a real issue with a number of production rifles, especially those that have a long throat.

My M70 373 H&H will not allow much over the standard of 3.6" due to the magazine. With the inherent long throat of the old M70s, that poor bullet is making quite a leap! Nevertheless, loads can certainly be developed that are more than adequate for most hunting situations.

It seems to me the smaller calibres are more sensitive to the bullet-to-land distance. This is simply a guess as I have not had enough experience with various calibres yet. Additionally, trying to create very precise and consistent OAL loads may be more beneficial with match-grade barrels and chambers than production arms. I see too many hunters that consistently drill five shots into an inch or so with nothing more than basic hand loading procedures.

Regards,

~Holmes

posted Hide Post
Im new to reloading too. Im in the info gathering stage. I have yet to purchase a press. Proper bullet seating has got me concerned. Thoughts going through my mind are: How do you know when the bullet is seated far enough into the case? What are the consequences/dangers of seating too long or too short? The first question has been answered be previous posts. Ok, now, here is another idea or thought. If one is loading say a 308 cartridge with 165 grain sierra gameking bullets, and you have an identical factory 308 cartridge to compare with, and when I say compare I mean measured case lenght, bullet lenght, and lenght of the case with bullet seated as is from the factory, would this be another way to ensure proper seating?

Posts: 1 | Location: NE of Houston | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire!

Lycombing: What you say about the factory load really makes a lot of sense. The "factory" loads to "fit" a large number of "standard" firearms. If you are loading for the best accuracy or the most consistent load, then yes, find the optimal oal for your firearm. In my humble opinion the more important step is to develop a load that you are hapy with(powder, primer, bullet) and see if you actually need to play with the seating depth. In my humble opinion, a more important consideration is to crimp or not, in if you do, how much. As a matter of physics, unless you only shoot from a cold barrel, the chamber and throat will change with each shot, and in fact could change according to the ambiant temperature. In measuring the chamber/ throat leangth in the reloading shack, we are only getting an average or starting point, for that particular firearm under those particular conditions. Can we do better? Proably not. You do what floats your boat and what you are happy with, and what you can actually do and measure.
I think that a beginning loader needs to stick to the fundamentals od consistancy in powder measurment, case prep, resizing and record keeping before he starts to tinker with more than the basics. Have fun and be safe.

Thank for letting me spout off.

Judge Sharpe, a poor widows son.

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?