New
Find
Notify
Tools

brass not to tumble together
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
okay, i know this is telling on myself, but I was being lasy, and through some 358 win with 45lc.. about 1/2 of the slipped into each other, and I had to take each "pair" apart, pour the media into the tumbler, seperate and retumble.

fir what it's worth
jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Sam>
posted
Did the same with 9mm and .45 ACP. They can be fun to get apart.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Ditto .40 S&W and .45acp, a real PITA. I was given a pail of range brass and found I wasn`t much better at finding the .40s than the guy that supposedly seperated it the first time.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
I have done the same with 9mm and .45acp. [Big Grin]

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That nothing!! Just try .223 and .375 H&H; a bottle necked case inside a bottle necked case. What fun!

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Lyman sells "bags" that are like netting to enable you to put cases like those described here, in the tumbler and eliminates that problem.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Been there.....unfortunatly done that.
Was this problem in a tumbler or one of the vibrating units?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone with a tumbler who hasn't done this, Jeffe, just hasn't tumbled much brass. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger...er Lone Tumbler. [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
480 Ruger and 357 magnum don't work well together either. 45 colt get other cases stuck with that big mouth. This is what I hate about tumbling mixed brass (not to say anything about the seperating the brass).

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - now I feel a lot better - cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9mm and 40S&W don't play together well. 444& 223 don't like each other either.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
Anyone with a tumbler who hasn't done this, Jeffe, just hasn't tumbled much brass. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger...er Lone Tumbler. [Big Grin]

I gotta agree with you, i usually do seperated brass, but I was being lasy and wanted to clean off my bench from a couple past shooting sessions... figured it would be easy enough to feel/see the diff...

what a mess
jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A friend gave me a big bag of .45 brass that had some .40 and .50AE mixed in. I figured, what the heck, tumble it all and seperate it after it's clean.
The .40/.45 mating is a PITA but the .45/.50 pairing is next to impossible to get apart. Must be love. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Frowner I feel just like chopped liver!!!!! I never done that, but I do mix cases in the tumbler. moonroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess being a bit anal has kept me from that problem as I only tumble one caliber at a time.

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done it!

38/357 mag and 223 Rem don't work well together!

Take them apart and retumble! What a PITA!

I guess, if one case will fit inside the other, don't tumble them together, because they WILL end up together!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never done that. But then again, I am very smart............ but a lousy shot. jumping

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
45 auto and 223 mix a little too well...

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done it. After a few times, I got so hosed off with having to separate them that I now tumble each caliber separately. I just turn on the tumbler and let it rock for about two hours while I do other things. Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly mean and nasty, I'll let it tumble for hours and hours over several days. They come out so-o-o clean and with a soft sheen to them...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite pairing in the tumbler has to be 45LC and 45-70. The 45LC is about a gnat's-ass smaller than the 45-70 case, so when it gets stuck it is S-T-U-C-K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Let's see....45/70 and (insert case here)

I now tumble all my 45/70 brass separate from everything else

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Dr. strangelove
posted Hide Post
unfortunately i had a large supply of 45-70 that needed some cleaning...

and just a handfull of 30 carbine and a few 222 Rem...

cleaning it all in one operation would make sense, i thought... homer

NOT!

good to know i'm not the only one... clap

An apple a day
keeps the doctor away...

If you can strike me!

Posts: 21 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 14 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob338:
Lyman sells "bags" that are like netting to enable you to put cases like those described here, in the tumbler and eliminates that problem.

I like that idea. But you'll go blind trying to seperate cases that are very close in size.

Heck, I just throw 'em all in the tumbler and toss the ones that get stuck together.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote