New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load data for Varget in a 284 Win.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm not the best writer so bear with me while I try to be articulate (NOT!) and get my ideas and concerns out on the table.

I cant find any load data for the 284 Win. using Varget, the burn rate is between 4895 and 4350, so Varget would seem to be in the right ballpark at least. I own an M-100 with the 18 1/2" bbl chamered for the 284 Win. Great gun, my Dad gave it to me as a kid and I have taken a few deer with it. It has the firing pin update also. Topped with an M8-4X.

A load of 55g. IMR 4831 w/Hornady 139sp's grouped good, I don't own a chrony but I'm guessing 2550fps.

One of my load books lists 4350 as the "accurate" powder for all weights listed.

Here's my concern: an article in a gun magazine I read was a question sent in by a reader asking about light loads for auto loaders. He had a Rem. in 30-06.

The author explained how chamber pressure was different from port pressure. With a fast powder the chamber pressure could peak early and have low piston port pressure by the time the gases to cycle the action got there. Conversly, the slow powder was still building up pressure by the time the gas got to the port, causing high port pressure. He said the slow powder might not cycle the action properly, while the fast powder could cycle violently, or at least harder than it needed to possibly causing damage over time.

So now I'm worring about my gun. Is this slow powder (H4831) not good for my gun? Is it too slow? I can find data for H4895, so I figured just to be on the safe side I would use a "medium" speed powder and be done worrying. I just happen to have some Varget on hand that is why I dont just jump right on the 4895.

I guess the easy answer is to go out, buy a pound of 4895, work up a load and not worry anymore.

What do you think?

Happy Shooting,
Redrider.

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Red..,
What bullet do you want to shoot? I have here the "Hodgdon Annual Manual"...looks like a magazine..has 3 lbs of powder , a SS ruger and a Lee die on the cover. Its available from most magazine stands that sell hunting mags. Its got a bunch of loads for the 284... 11 different bullets with Varget listed for all of em. I'd be glad to post a couple but your gonna have to narrow it down a bit.
284 is a fine round.

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redrider--With this load H4831 57.7gr 3000avfps, was getting the same av.fps with 59.5gr max load in the 280 with the same bullet & powder both very accurate gun's. The max load was 59.3grs for the 284 win-just barely over 3100fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave: I load whatever bullet that shoots well in my gun. The 55g.H4831/Hndy139sp seemed to work good enough. Guess I'll stick with the 139's for now. I'll look for that magazine/annual, but if you could post some data that would be cool too.

4Bambam: I'm guessing you have quite a bit longer barells than 18 1/2" to get those kind of velocities. Also I was told to keep loads a grain or two under max when loading for an auto-loader, so ya didn't run her at the hot top!

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
Sierra Manual 5th Edition pg. 444......284 Winchester.

Firearm used for data 26" barrel Savage Mdl. 116 with a 1 in 9 twist....Winch. brass....Rem. 9 1/2 primer.

140gr bullets and Varget.

Min. 41.5gr...2500fps Max. 48.3grs...2900fps.

Ike

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red- --Yes it was a model 70 Winchester 1 in 10" Twist-- 22in.barrel. I just listed the top load as to compare the different Velocities and to let you know what the max load was that I had in my Hornady Book. And with H4895 I had to many fliers and got lower Fps.