Find
Notify
Tools

270w heavies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
What were the heaviest bullets you’ve loaded for your .270W? I’m looking at the 180gr Woodleigh’s for bushveld – kudu, blue wildebeest and possibly eland. Will more than likely use .338wm for the latter though.

It will be nice to get the velocity down to around 2400-2500ft/s for many shots would be between 50-100y. Would this be possible?

I’m loading 150gr Woodleigh’s now at approx. 2800ft/s - happy with accuracy! Would you let it be and stick with what works or would you recommend trying the heavier load?

Then again a new load means more time at the range – not a bad thing for the off season!!!???

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just stick to the 150's in the .270, and use the .338 when ever I wanted anything heavier.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the Nosler 160 grains SMP, behind a strong charge of H 1000...don't know their availability in Africa... but they do great on big stuff in NO. AMERICA...I run them at about 2950 fps...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Johan,

I loaded 170gr Rhino's in my .270 Win using S385. They were apparently a special run and I got them directly from Rhino.

Whilst they are very long and some rifles may not stabilise them, my 1 in 10" twist shot them into about 35mm at 100m. My rifle is European and does have a long throat.

Accuracy was more than adequate for bushveld use I think.

They ran about 2450fps without any pressure signs and I could probably have gone quite a bit quicker, but didn't see the point.That was in a 22" barrel.

Now that I have my .308 I dont' see much use for this load, so I never hunted with it.

I've still got a few boxes of the Rhinos and it seems we are both in JHB. PM me if you want to try some. If you like them we can talk about the others. I must have 200 or so.

I've also got 100 Barnes originals in 180gr that I've never tried.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seafire: I'm thinking those 160-grain Partitions would make very good elk medicine in my .270 WSM ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16628 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote