New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Designations Confusing You Too?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone else find powder designations confusing? Two types of 4895, two types of 4350 - I constantly have to refer to the little slip of paper that I carry in my wallet to remember what I use and don't use. With something as critical as powder selection, I would think that the manufacturers could come up with a better system. I like Alliant's system of one and two digit numbers - this duplicated four digit system, many starting with the digit 4, is simply confusing. Or maybe, as my wife keeps telling me, I am just getting old......

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I print out all my reloads on a Lotus 1-2-3 member and keep it in front of me while I'm actually reloading. Also I allow no components out except the ones I'm actually using. That cuts down the margin of error quite a bit. I agree it gets dicey if you're using two powders with the same number designation, like 4895 or 4350 and some others. Just make it a point to bring out only one powder. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can be wrong but, isn't IMR and Hodgdon the only 2 manufactures that make the same designated powder.
The trick is to know if the powder starts with an
"H" or "IMR because, there can be a difference of several grains. This is where several Manuals come in handy.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i want to know why the ASSHOLES at Olin (winchester) would put 748 and 760 in identical cans?

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget XMR4350, by Accurate.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same names, yeah.. confusing..
but I also don't understand why not every
manufacturer shows a kind of general
'burnrate' on their different powders.

A kind of indication for the kind of powder.

There are tables on the Internet with "look-a-like" powders between different brands, approximately ... but I guess it must be easy to set a industry-standard for the burnrate of a
powder.