New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 Remington reduced loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to put together some reduced loads for a 17 Remington. Is it possable to get a 25gr bullet loaded down to around 2400fps?

Thank you, Tony

Posts: 51 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sure - just use less powder, but a bit fater burning, or just use a 17 HMR

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done this with the 204, and the 17 Rem should not be much different... and have also done the same with the 17 Fireball, that I reload for an old guy, who is a friend...he had a T/C in 17 HMR and wanted more Horsepower out of it, yet still wanted to be able to shoot the 17 HMR velocities at times, so he had it bored out to 17 Fireball...he's 75 plus y/o...

was easily accomplished using 4227 or 2400 powder and working up to your desired velocities...

H 4198 or RL 7 also work well in those applications... all of those powders are user friendly at the reload bench due to how small the neck diameter is...

SR 4759 and IMR 4198 also work well for that application, but their bulk/size of grains is not user friendly putting down 17 caliber necks..

a few guys on forum from Australia use Blue Dot, but I haven't worked with that powder in the 17 Rem...

if you are just looking to reduce velocity to 2400 fps, along with reducing case pressure, then use slower powders.. like H 414, H 380 or H 4350...

the case will be full, the pressure and velocity low...

there are a lot of guys on the forums here that freak out and get on a soap box and scream about the chance of a double charge, using faster powders...

so use slower powders, your case is full, velocity reduced, and no chance of a double charge and blowing yourself and the guy next to you into 'kingdom come' when you gun explodes...

many assume that besides them personally, no other reloader has any common sense...except the other guys who agree with them that is...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

Thank you for the well thought out and written response. That was exactly the kind of information that I was looking for.

Thank you, Tony

Posts: 51 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,

my pleasure and welcome to the AR Forums...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote