Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading 338 WM without magnum powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted
Unfortunately Spain is not a good place to reload. The unique powders to reload rifle cartridges, till three months ago, were Vectan powders. Just now we have not any type of rifle powder to reload, because of MAXAM (the importer of Vectan) deceided to stop the importation of Vectan powders, probably because of commercial interests. This Enterprise is starting to manufacture two types of rifle powders, and they promised to lauch them in the next months, but they are not going to manufacture any magnum powder, so the rifles chambered with magnum cartridges, will not be optimally reloaded. I own two 338 WM rifles, and I want to reload them with 200 grs bullets. Can anybody indicate me any load, with medium burning rate powders, for this combo?

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions

Kind Regards

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of N51lDr1v3r
posted Hide Post
Just for reference.

Bullet wight - Bullet maker - Powder used - charge weight - velocity

200 Speer IMR-4064 55.0 2,540
200 Hornady IMR-4831 75.0 2,950
200 Speer IMR IMR-4895 60.0 2,645
200 Nosler Ballistic Tip Alliant RL-19 78.0 3,020
200 Nosler Ballistic Tip Winchester W-760 71.5 2,931
200 Speer Jacketed SP IMR IMR-4350 65.4 2611
200 Speer Jacketed SP IMR IMR-4350 72.5 2932
200 Speer Jacketed SP Accurate AAC-3100 65.4 2500
200 Speer Jacketed SP Accurate AAC-3100 73.7 2863
200 Speer Jacketed SP Ramshot Hunter 66.3 2726
200 Speer Jacketed SP Ramshot Hunter 73.7 2990
200 Speer Jacketed SP Alliant RL-19 67.6 2617
200 Speer Jacketed SP Alliant RL-19 75.0 2941

Hand loads...... Never settle for OEM

Posts: 80 | Location: Sin City | Registered: 18 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Barsness uses RL 15 for 200g bullets in the 338 WM.
I use IMR 4350 for 210g NPs.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ignacio: Until you know the burning speed of the new powders it will be impossible to say whether either will be suited to loading the .338. However, if you are using 200 grain bullets then nearly any "medium" powder intended for something like .308 or .30-06 will provide you with acceptable velocities in your .338. But experimenting with a new powder requires both a chronograph and substantial experience in interpreting pressure indicators -- and even then you have to understand how to minimize risks.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like stonecreek says many medium rate powders are suitable for .338w with 220gr bullets. Norma, Rottweil and vihtavouri has a full range of suitable powders. Take a plane ticket to an other country do your reloading go home with your cartridges(Sweden or germany would work).

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
f you tell us what powders are available to you, I have many reloading books and will be happy to look them for you.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always gotten best results in the 338WinMag with IMR4350 or RL19

I'm not sure what number the original manufacturer (Norma) markets "Reloader 19" as in Europe, but...

ALlanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted Hide Post
Dear Saeed and all participants in this discussion:

The problema we have in Spain now is we cannot get legally any powder to reload long guns cartridges, and now we have just the "promise" of an Spanish Enterprise (MAXAM) that they are going to manufacture one type of powder (they say something with a burning rate between Tubal 3000 and Tubal 5000) probably with a burning rate similar to IMR4064 or IMR4320, we do not know exactly.
This is the unique type of powder we are going to have in the future in Spain, the most restrictive country in Europe for guns possession and reloading. If you cross the border and you go to France or Portugal, you can get many types of powder (Vihtavuori, Vectan or Reload Swiss ....) but the Spanish authorities do not give to any individual a permission to import just a few (1-3) kg of powder, we do not know the reason. May be some people of them thinks an sporting shooter may be a potential "terrorist" and with this degree of paranoia, the best thing is to ban everything.

This is not the unique restriction, just to say one, if you waste a barrel of a rifle, you have to ship this rifle to junk, because the authorities do not authorize to any gunsmith to rebarrell a rifle, despite we have some excellent proffesionals here. It happens only in Spain, in the remainders countries of Europe this fact does not happens.

Sporting shooters and hunters here, as in the remainder parts of the world, are honorable persons, which pay their taxes and normal citizens which contribute to the development of the society we belong to. This post try to show how badly we are treated here, without any reason.

Kind Regards

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are Maxam making a powder or repackage a powder? .338wm are using powders with medium burning rate so its a good chance the powder will fit. But you maybee dont get the powder before hunting season, go to France or Portugal and reload and take home cartridges with proper permission.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted Hide Post
Maxam are manufacturing in Spain a new powder for rifle. It is not an old powdèr repacked. In fact they have a lot of experience manufacturing shotgun or handgun powder. It is not posible to get a permission to import legally powder from any other country, even from EU. Only big enterprises, with a heavy structure can get it in my country. An individual person cannot get it.

Ignacio Colomer