New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Pre-64 Model 70 FW (.30-06) absolutely hates bullets with a boat-tail. It shoots 180 grain Sierras (flat base) WELL under an inch, great for deer, but I'd like a more stoutly constructed bullet for larger game.

Is the Swift A-Frame a boat-tail?

Any other premium bullets anyone can recommend?

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
The A-frames I have are boat-tails, don't know if this is true across the line. Try the Barnes XXX, they are really accurate and 'stout', a little on the pricey side for a bullet if that bothers you--but not any worse than A frames I don't think, it's been a while since I bought any Swifts......

I would be surprised if you can't find some boat-tails that work. The Nosler Accubond is another sturdily constructed bullet that has a reputation for good accuracy, it is a boat-tail as well.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but I think you have already got a good bullet if your 30-06 likes the 180 grain Sierra flat base.

At 30-06 velocities the 180 grain Pro-Hunter will perform well on any game the 30-06 is suitable for. I would not hesitate to shoot a big bull elk with one for a moment.

But, if you are concerned, you might try the 180 grain Nosler Partition. It has more of a fold at the base than a true boat tail. My 300 Wby Mag shoots the 180 Sierra's and Nosler's in the same place at the range.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried both the Partitions and the Barnes TSX, neiher groups well.

Doug

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Try the Hornady SP, it`s a bit stouter IMO then the Sierra if you want a std cup & core bullet. The failsafe is another premium flat base you may want to try. Buy a bunch of `em if they shoot though. Winchester I hear is phasing them out.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ol Joe has a good suggestion in the Hornady I would go with the InterLockâ„¢. Another option a little more expensive and in my experience more accurate than the Nosler Partition; Woodleigh they have a few very stout offerings. They won't have as high a BC but will hold together they are what they call weldcores.

Woodleigh

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would give North Fork bullets a try. I had very good results with them but I do not have a 30-06...

www.northforkbullets.com

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried seating all your loads so the bullet is connected to the rifling ,some have excessive free bore ! so re seat your bullets so the connect to the rifling !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If the 180gr NP won't shoot, give NorthForks a try, the Hornady is only slightly "tougher" than the Sierra. If I was shooting a Barnes I would drop to a 165gr.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many powders have you tried?It is often the powder/bullet combination that determines the accuracy of a particular rifle.The same powder is not always the most accurate with different bullets.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also twist for .30 caliber can be 10-12-14- what is yours ? 10 twist take heavier , 12 mediun weight ; 14 very light bullets ,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concho - Rile has a short throat, my OAL is 3.300, not sure what the twist is on the rifle, but shoots 180 Sierras well, so should group other 180s.

Stubble - Tried IMR 4350 so far, loading some RL 19 tonite.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is your case length ? Book calls for 2.494 short throat cut brass back .010and move bullets out to touch rifling , long brass will cause fliers .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass has been trimmed.

No joy with RL-19. Powder suggestions other than IMR 4350 and RL 19?

Doug

one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I like Hornady bullets ,they have the inter bonds which are of a boat tail design so thats not going to work for you . They also have flat based 180's . I have always used 150's in the 06 , killed deer , elk , pigs , and coyotes with it . I heard Remington has some bonded bullets out so you might check thier website .
As far as powder I use Accurate Arms 4350 , not much different than IMR , sorry to say but in the 06 you can try alot of different powders , only to end up using 4350 . If you want to use a ball powder H380 will perform . Depending on if your dead set on 180 grain flat based bullets , you might try a lighter bullet of tougher construction . Kinda need to know what you're going after .

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ny,

the above is all good advice.

If you want a really good inexpensive Hornady bullet try the 180 grain Interlock Round Nose with 55.0 gr. H-4350. Seat to middle of cannelure.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote