Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's going on with my loads?
 Login/Join

posted
OK.. I just tested the OAL w/ my stoney point gauge. For my Rem 700SPS in .308 WIN, my max OAL was 2.400" which seemed a bit short to me. Then, I loaded up a dummy round at 2.380" and my bolt wouldn't even close. I think the bullet tip was deformed though. I loaded a different one and it works ok, but I can still see the grooves on the bullet after I chamber it, and when I close my bolt, it squeaks. Any ideas?

- Semper Fi

Posts: 8 | Location: Pierce Co. WA | Registered: 20 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Case length could cause you ther trouble. I would trim them all to a uniform length.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't see what case length has to do with a bullet comming out with rifleing marks on it.

Lyman list up to 2.8 OAL for heavy bullets, so maybe your reading that fancy gauge wrong?
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If the bullet is seating into the rifling, it is on the LONGER side. Make sure you are reading the mic. properly, I once made the dislexic mistake of reading 1.110" on the dial as 1.010"

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Your bullet is seated to long. Seat it deeper in small increments until the marks disappear. Squeaking noise might be the bullet turning in the neck.

Check your meazuring method against the instructions. Then measure mesure 5 times with 5 bullets from the same box and write down the results. Compare the results to the OAL of the round you adjusted to seat correctly. If you see a lot of difference then you are doing something wrong with your measuring process.

By chance are the land marks even around the bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devldogs:
...Semper Fi...
Hey devldogs, If you want to set the Stoney Point Gauge (Fiasco) aside so you are not tempted to touch it, I'll be glad to help you through this. Just don't have any desire to try and fight our way through the un-necessary variations caused by those fiascos.
---

Chesty spoke at my PI Graduation back in `67. He had Ribbons, Medals and Badges entirely covering both sides of his Dress Blues.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote