New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4227 powder in 357 Mag.?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a full can of IMR-4227 and thought about using it up in my 357 Mag. When I go to looking in my two Hornady loading manuals, one is the 3rd edition and the other is the 7th edition, I find the max. loade charges to be QUITE different.

The 3rd edition says 17.1 gr. as max.
The 7th edition says 14.5 gr. as max.

I suppose this is telling me that the powders have become "hotter" in the last 20 years, (or the pistols have become weaker). Or is it that the lawyers have gotten more involved?

In any event my 4227 powder is more or less from the same era as the 3rd edition Hornady manual, so I guess I will work up from that book. If I was loading for a rifle, I wouldn't sweat it. But there is a little more that can go wrong with a revolver.

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion as to a starting point. As you might guess they are different in each book also. I will be using a chronograph on this one to see the development.

Also, is the 4227 a good powder? I would like to use it up.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like anything else, every time they publish a book it changes. thats why start low and work up. 4227 will work but is really to slow for anything other than long barrels and heavy bullets. 2400 was always the standard, but is very dirty with unburned powder. h110, blue dot etc. work better

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Rae, I have used imr4227 in the 357 and it worked good for me. I use some that was about 15yrs old in a S&W model 66 158gr jhp zero bullets 15.8gr with a federal mag primer.
mild recoil runs about 1200f/s an dI thought it shot pretty clean.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Rae:

IMR4227 will work just fine in the 357. If I didn't have a boat load of 2400, I'd be using it now also. All of us, who have been reloading for some time, come across the same conundrum constantly, data that changes, for what reason no one really knows, although I suspect SAMI has had something to do with the new data, versus the old. I continue to use the loads I worked up in the late 60's and early 70's, using data from that era, with no problems. Pressure signs and the cronograph usually tell all the story one needs to know.

Good Luck

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pressure signs and the cronograph usually tell all the story one needs to know.

tu2

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4227 and 2400 are much alike. Both are on the
slow side and need full power loads to burn well.
enjoy!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it's data for IMR & not H4227? They used to be slightly diff. When working w/ a new /old powder, I take avg max as the high end, reduce 10% & work up.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Are you sure it's data for IMR & not H4227? They used to be slightly diff. When working w/ a new /old powder, I take avg max as the high end, reduce 10% & work up.

the powder is the same make IMR, but there have been two new bullets added to Hornadies line that are included in the data and that changes the picture some. The new bullets, the XTP and a silhouette vary in bearing surface, and I`m sure the jacket thickness and core hardness too. Powders vary over time and the new methods of measuring pressure have changed things too. Also the old data was developed in a S&W M27 where the new was worked up in a Colt Python
The data reflects the weakest link in the chain, and which it is no one knows but the manufacture.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote