Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 gr.v max
 Login/Join

posted
does any one have any experience with these in 223 and 220 swift. my son,s wanted to try them,i don't think the twist is right in there factory barrels.but they might shoot.

Posts: 5 | Location: northern utah | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It's a poor, poor choice. The ballistic coefficient is akin to shooting a lima bean. If he wants a lightweight bullet, try the Hornady 40 grain V-Max or the Nosler 40 grain Ballistic Tip. There's a huge difference between that 35 grainer and the 2 forty-grain projectiles I mentioned.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ditto. I love them in my Hornet but they are a waste in anything much bigger. I think they'll shoot OK in the 223 but the Swift may spin them to pieces at the velocities it can throw them.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The techs at Hornady say they have cranked them up to over 4600 fps with no prob. As said before they have a crappy BC and thus fly like a pillow. They have but half the BC of the 40 gr. v maxs.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tiger--they are perfect for a Hornet, but NG in a .223.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to tell you this was in a .223

I agree, they have a horrible B.C. only .109 vs the 40 at .200

However, I loaded some yesterday and went to the range this morning. I was very impressed with the groups I was getting. Nothing over 1 1/4" and the smallest was .760. The best load was as follows:

35 vmax
28.0 Benchmark
Rem Brass
CCI BR-4 primer
COL = 2.130

Don't know what the velocity might have been but I think Nosler's manual says that a 40gr loaded with 28.0gr Benchmark is somewhere around 3800. I would guess to say that I was pushing past the 3900fps mark. I definately want to do some more experimenting with this round.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote