Find
Notify
Tools

Alliant reloder 17 equivalent
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
What I know RL-17 is made in Switzerland. So is there any equivalent in Europe or anywhere?

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 3 4350 powders are the same burning rate.

H4350 is manufactured in OZ as ADI AR2209.

ADI powders

IMR 4350 and AA 4350 are similar in burn rate.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
close in burn rate maybe but not progressive burning like the rl-17 powder is.
I think you'd be best served by going a step slower than 4350 to get close[r] to the pressure/time curve of rl-17.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eurenco(Nexplo bofors) is the manufacturer. Rhino rp17, Norma urp, should be similar maybee some rottweil product to.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

I have great results with RL-17 in .375 H&H and 8x57IS. I have 5 bottles on stock, but it is very hard to buy here.

What I know sometimes are THE SAME powders sells by different brands and names. I am looking for exact equivalent of RL-17.

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Bofors powders (at least the ones made in Sweden) have a reputation for exhibiting greater-than-average burning speed variations from lot to lot. They are excellent powders but your loads just need to be reworked/verified when changing lots.

Whether the Swiss-made Bofors powders exhibit this same characteristic I don't know. And how similar the specs of "generic" RL-17 sold under another label is impossible to say. But if Nordic is correct about the two "clone" powders, then you could utilize them in the place of RL-17. But as with any different lot of RL-17 you would need to rework your loads to verify velocities and pressures with the substitute powder. This might require an adjustment of several grains in a given load.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most smokeless powders are progressive burning.
The higher the pressure the faster they burn.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
close in burn rate maybe but not progressive burning like the rl-17 powder is.
I think you'd be best served by going a step slower than 4350 to get close[r] to the pressure/time curve of rl-17.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to a former bofors employee reloader has a wider burnrate specification than norma powder of the same type of powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
According to a former bofors employee reloader has a wider burnrate specification than norma powder of the same type of powder.

When the original line of Norma powder was being imported to the U.S. in the late 1960's and 1970's, Norma 205 was in high demand because it produced higher velocities than the nearest U.S. powder to it in burning rate, surplus 4831. But most people found after trying a canister (400 grams in those days, a "short pound") that the next canister they got acted somewhat differently. This tended to be true of most of the Norma powders.

When Hercules (later Alliant) began importing the RelOadeR line of powders (yes, that was the way the logo was spelled), users noticed the same kind of differences between lots of those powders.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They maybee had problem with 205 later mrp was introduced for magnum calibers.