New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornet Guy's...Have you seen this?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Check out Speers 33gr TNT for the Hornet...3229fps!

http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/ReloadingSupplementalDATA/22h_33hp.pdf

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 hornet.
yes I have seen the data, but have been unable to find the bullet, does anyone know where or when they will be in the stores

Posts: 27 | Location: UT USA | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This looks interesting, I am currnetly hooked on the sierra 45 gr bullets there excellent !! but these could be good.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The velocity looks good but the low BC probably means they will drop like a rock in speed after 100 yds. A friend gave me some 37 gr. Calhoon bullets to try. I'm anxious to see how these do. So far the best all varmint bullet I've found is the 40 gr. V-Max. Have any of you tried the 35 gr V-Max yet? I was warned off them for the same reason, low BC. I normally shoot sage rats at ranges from 75-200 yds and the light bullets are quickly passed by the 40 gr. V-max at around the 100 yd. mark. If someone tries them please post your opinion of their performance at various ranges.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can acheive approx. the same velocity with the 40 gr. V-max/BT with Lil' gun. Use Rem. brass as it holds more powder than Win. and crimp bullets with Lee factory crimp die. In my CZ hornet the 40 V-max cruises around 3200 and I've yet to see any signs of excessive pressure. ACCURATE too! Only thing is the bullets are seated too far out to be used as a repeater.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MidSouth Shooters Supply has the Speer 33gr. I was hopeful that would have a reasonable ogive, giving it some length for a better BC. Nope, it's a stubby little hollow point, somewhat like a 35 Vmax w/o the poly tip. First (but not thorough) testing yielded poor accuracy, using some Win 680 I still have.
Berger and Calhoon both make 30 gr pills, and the Berger is as long as a Sierra 40 HP (just not much lead!). They shoot great out of my 221 Fireball.
LilGun powder is amazing, for both the Hornet and the Fireball. Have used it in the Fireball to easily reach 3550fps with 40gr loads.
It is probably not optimum for light (<40gr) bullets in the Hornet.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
Mike-OR:

I've shot quite a few Hornady 35 grainers on prarie dogs in my Ruger K-Hornet. They are impressive to say the least if the range isn't past 150 yds. The 35 drops like a rock after that. With that said, I think you would be pleased on the up close shots and would have to practive kentucky windage at 200.

Good Shooting,
Ben H

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speer makes a 40gr. spitzer shaped much like the 35gr. VMax. Have had my Hornet only 4 months so havn't tried it on ground squirrels yet but it sure takes feral cats and magpies apart. In my Ruger #1 Hornet the 40gr. Speer shoots tighter groups then the 40gr. Hornady VMax. That was a surprise! Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben H, If it ever warms up here I'll be trying those 37gr Calhoons first. Then I think I will give those 35 gr V-Maxes a try. I'm basically looking for something frangible and cheaper than the V-Max as I shoot a lot wiht the Hornet. 40 gr V-Max go for 14-16$ a box around here. I know the Calhoons are much cheaper if they will shoot in my rifle. With Lil-Gun and the 37's I should be able to get over 3000fps without any trouble.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<tcdave>
posted
Hi Guys,
I've tried these little pills in my 10" TC barrel. They do go fast but are not accurate- giving groups approx twice the size as I get with the Hornady 40gr V-Max. I've tried W-296, H-110, 2400, AA #9, and VV N-110 with about the same results. I was really hoping these ultra lite bullets would shoot but I'm not impressed. So far the only decent (1MOA) groups have been at 45 gr speeds. The 35 gr V-Max shoot a little better but not much. I'll stick with the Hornady 40 gr V-Max.
Good Shooting

dave L

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. And let me offer: about a year ago I got some 30 grain sierra hp's made for the 22 mag from lock, stock, and barrel. the S tech people advised that the pills were good for 3500 fps. I use some similar, but heavier loads in my 77/22h and get nickle sized groups at 100 yds., but no game experience yet. I understand Sierra has an "outlet" store, but do not know what's in stock. Help the economy! ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a whole bunch of the 35 gr. VMAX's out of my Hornets. I absolutely love that little bullet!

I have gotten good performance on prairie dogs past 200 yards, but as Ben H said, 150 is about the max for specatular performance.

Wind is a problem with the low BC in my experience...some days I have had to dope more than a foot at about 100 yards....so for the windy days, they only make for a frustrating, or more fun day, depending on how you look at it!

I have shot a lot of stuff with the 35 and like I said above, I really like it. On chizzlers (small gopher/ground squirell), they are nothing short of stunning, past 200 yards, if you can see 'em. On chucks, they work OK, but the velocity of the Hornet is the limiting factor on the larger stuff, I'd say. Magpies are a real hoot!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you think this light bullet would work in a NEF Handi-Rifle with 1:12 twist? Or do you think it would have way to many RPM's to stabilize? Would it disentigrate?

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1:12 will be just fine. That is plenty fast to stabilize heavier bullets, and the velocity out of the Hornet isn't great enough to get the RPMs up enough to blow 'em up.

If your NEF doesn't shoot the 35 VMAX, it isn't because the bullet hasn't been stabilized... just that your barrel doesn't like the bullet.

Don't get too hung up on twist.

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote