New
Find
Notify
Tools

AccuBonds in .270 Win??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, have any of you worked up loads with the 140 grs AccuBonds in a .270 Win?? If yes, what are your observations regarding powder charges vs pressure?? The AccuBonds seem to be pretty long bullets (a 140 grs AccuBond is longer than a 150 grs Partition!), so I was wondering whether to expect higher pressures from the AccuBonds?? Experience from other calibers obviously welcome as well.

Has anybody used RL19 with a 140 grs Accubond in a .270 Win?? Max load with that powder for 140 grs bullets is often listed as 58 grs. Does this match your experience??

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I think I'll have to re-phrase my question:

"Has anybody noticed increased pressure, when loading with Nosler Accubond bullets?? Or have you been able to load to powder charges you would consider "normal" (as max) with other bullets???"

Let's see if I have better luck with that question??

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 60.5g Reloader 25 with CCI250M primers and the 140g Accubond. It has shot several groups under 3/8" and the load, while not mild, is surely within normal pressure limits.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Sambubba, thanks a ton for your input, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find recipes for 140grs/.270 Win involving RL25 anywhere on the Web (I'm sure the data is out there somewhere). That makes it hard for me to compare: loads with AccuBond bullets vs loads with "conventional" bullets of like weight. I'm trying to get a feel for the pressure I can expect from AccuBonds as opposed to that experienced with "conventional" bullets.

Thanks again for contributing, though! - mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Accubonds don't seem to have any issues with excess pressures. I've been shooting 60.0grs of RL-22 with the 140 in a 270 win and getting 1 1/2 inch groups at 300yds, 3/8's inch groups at 100.
I've also shot the 140 Accubond in 270 Winchester Short Mag and loaded to max reccomended charges and got appropriate velocities.
200gr Accubond gave roughly equivelant velocities to 200gr partitions in a 300 Ultra-Mag
225 Gr. Accubonds shot extremely well in a 338 Win Mag with 1 grain more than my normal load for this caliber - bullets were seated out quite a bit however.
and finally 225 Accubonds took a max charge of Retumbo in a 338 Lapua 102grs and were smokin' fast without excess pressure signs.
The only Accubonds that I loaded less than max were in a 7mm Dakota that allways requires several grains less than Max with any bullet including Hornady spire points.
I think you don't need to worry a bit about Accubonds, they are accurate, terminally effective and easy to load for.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Guys:

velocity? what bbl length?

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
mho,

They appear to be similar to the .277 140 NBT in shape.

W/ the 140 NBT, I get aound a half inch groups at 100 w/ a pretty stout load of H4831.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link

http://www.loadyourown.com/loaddata/detailcaliber.asp?id=3978

There is one more here for the 140 grn accubond, but could not get it to paste.

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot some 140gr. Accubonds the other day with 60 gr. of RL-22 in neck sized cases. They shot into a 1/2 inch at 100 yds. I didn't detect any abnormal pressure signs. The day was pretty cloudy so I didn't get any chronographing done. The Accubond and RL-22 seem to be a pretty good combination because 56 and 58 gr. of the stuff all went in under an inch. I hope this was some help.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
140 Accubond 270 Winchester
53.2 deg F
48.2% humidity
34.68 hg
821ft density altitude
(per Kestral 4000)

Sako 270 Finnlite 20" barrel
60.o RL-22 ave velocity 2975fps, 3/8" at 100yds for 3 shots

Berreta 270 Mato 24" barrel
60.0 RL-22 ave velocity 3063fps 1 1/2 at 300yds for 3 shots

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, just what the doctor ordered! Short, exact and to the point: nobody is observing raised pressures from using AccuBonds, and observed max loads are akin to that used with other bullets. Accuracy is usually very good.

In a word: you are a GREAT bunch! Don't know what I'd do without you?? I'll buy you a beer next time you pass through Zurich!
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Load them like you would any other bullet of the same weight. No problem in my .338. See this thread for some recovered bullet pics:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=636695&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1&vc=1

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried them in a .270, but I have used the 200 gr. Accubond bullets in my .300 Weatherby. They give the best accuracy I've ever gotten from this rifle, and produce 3000+ f.p.s. with 80 gr. of RL-22, the same velocities and powder charge I use with other 200 grain bullets.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MHO, Man do I hope I get to take you up on that beer in Zurich! Bist du ein Schweizer oder?.......DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

MHO, Man do I hope I get to take you up on that beer in Zurich! Bist du ein Schweizer oder?.......DJ

DJ, It's a deal on the beer! Actually, I'm a Dane who has been "lost" in Switzerland for about 18 years now. With a family at hand, I'll probably hang around a bit longer...

Thanks for all the input guys, it really is much appreciated!

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
To round this story off: I worked up some .270 Win loads with 140 grs AccuBond bullets, Lapua brass, Federal 210M, and RL22. I chose RL22 over RL19, as the Alliant website seemed to indicate lower pressures for RL22 for 140 grs. In temperatures of about 15-16 degree Celcius (Farenheit??), I could shoot the listed RL22 max load (60.0 grs) without pressure signs. So it looks like I have to come to the same conclusion as my learned colleagues in here: loading with AccuBonds does not seem to create unduely high pressure.

I have yet to play with seating depth, but the initial results indicate I should be able to get .8" average for 3-shot groups. That is not bad for me.

Next: vary seating depth, and chronograph. Always so much to do, and so little time to do it

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went to the range again yesterday for further testing - the load reacted quite well to seating depth variations. Not having tried every possible combination, I think I'll settle on a seating depth about .010" off the lands (measured with a bullet comparator). In my tests yesterday, that load averaged in the .5's.

I have yet to chronograph these loads, though. More later.
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
MHO, hope you're having fun with the accubonds sounds like they are working well for you. What are you going to hunt with them, and what rifle/scope are you using?.......DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
These days you can hardly admit it, but the .270 I am currently loading for is my Blaser R93 in a synthetic stock. That .270 barrel has always been one of my best Blaser barrels - and the one I shot the most. Here in Europe, the Blaser carries a Zeiss 2.5-10x50, and when I go abroad I mount a Zeiss 3-9x36 and bring along a Leupold 2.5-8x32 as a backup.

I use the .270 for some of my local hunting (roe and pigs). To be honest though, the .270 is a tad much for roe IMHO, and less suited for pigs, should I hit the jackpot and run into a big one (unlikely as it may be). Still, if I decide to go somewhere in our hunting area where a long shot is called for, the .270 comes along.

It will also go along on my Utah trip for mule deer this fall. The Blasers are just such a joy to travel with compared to "conventional" rifles. Taken down, the rifle fits in a shotgun case, which in turn slips into my large duffel. Good arrangement, less conspicuous and less prone to luggage mangling due to the shorter length.

I also have a .270 Win on an MRC M1999 hopefully coming on stream sometime this year. I was hoping the AccuBonds would do in that rifle as well. They seem to have all the attributes for a "do it all" bullet in that caliber for me.

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So it looks like I have to come to the same conclusion as my learned colleagues in here: loading with AccuBonds does not seem to create unduely high pressure.

I asked a friend about the accubond pressure question (figured he should know, worked for Nosler for 5 years in their ballistics department, his father sits on their board of directors), and he said that the accubonds do generate higher pressures at same loadings, but that Nosler builds in enough of a safety margin to allow shooters to use the same load data for both the Ballistic Tips and the Accubonds in the same weight. Understanding, though that if one were to exceed the published data and develop a true maximum load for their specific rifle using a ballistic tip bullet, and then stuffed an accubond on top of the same "uber" maximum load, he might be looking for trouble. Of course, the first rule of handloading is to start over and work up whenever changing any component of a previously tested safe load, watching carefully for any signs of excess pressure. Still his point is well taken, the Accubond is a very different bullet than the Ballistic Tip in both jacket thickness and core construction (less lead, slightly longer due to the internal soldering), and should be treated as such. Looking forward to loading some 140 grainers in my .270WSM.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, useful input. I would certainly not be surprised if that was the case. Just from the very unscientific point of view, that the ABs are as long as anything. When we "mere mortals" decide we see the same pressures as with other bullets, it probably (sensibly) means that most of us don't bother to go above published max loads. Whether we are truely at MAX at that point is irrelevant. Better be safe than sorry. Now, if I could only find time to chronograph those .270 loads...
- mike