New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag Load Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just purchased a new Savage 110FP in 300 Win Mag. I can put shots right on top of each other with a 180gr Speer SPBT @ 100 yds. If I try to use the 165gr Speer SPBT the groups open up dramatically around 1". Someone told me that the rifle might be pushing the 165gr too fast. The Lyman reloading manual says stick with 180-220gr bullets in the 300. Don't get me wrong I think the riflee performs admiralbly but I think 180gr is a little overkill for deer(dogs)in the deep south. Does anyone have any good load info for a lighter bullet in the 300. After all there is a humane kill and then there is just excess.

Posts: 26 | Location: Slidell LA | Registered: 02 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try different powders with the 165's as different bullets often work better with different powders.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 70 grains of IMR 4350 and a 165 grain Sierra BTSP. It should do around 3000-3100fps in most rifles. Groups with this load usually average 1/2 inch or less. Recoil is also very mild for a .300 Winchester.

This load is extremely lethal on deer. All that I have shot have been dead in their tracks at ranges from 50yds to 250+.

Hope this helps.
Good Shooting,
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. I tried 4350 before and was not too impressed but would be willing to try it again. Is there another powder that burns a little faster? I figure if i get good ignition and not so much velocity it might help.

Posts: 26 | Location: Slidell LA | Registered: 02 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Nosler or Barnes bullets, they both give good results. Nosler manual will give you the best powder and amount for best accuracy. I have found their loads to hold true with a lot less "playing around".

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The nosler manual will give you most accurate load for the test rifles that nosler used but since you aren't using their test rifles the most accurate load in your gun could very likely be with a different powder.Don't worry about pushing the 165gr bullets too fast in your 300win mag as they shoot accurately at higher velocities in some higher capacity .308" cartridges.

[ 08-05-2003, 06:04: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Since you're not going after elk and other big stuff with this load I'd recommend a 150 or 165gr Sierra (ProHunter or GameKing). Keep them at the lower end of the published velocities and you'll have an easy shooting, accurate and effective small deer load. I've used 70gr of AA3100 (published 2900fps) and it's been very accurate. You could probably get an accurate load with a few grains less for more reliable terminal performance.

No need to use the fancy premium stuff on those little deer. They'll go down just fine.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
j_dude, you're on the right track, friend. Just allow me to suggest a bit of contrary advice: Do not kid yourself into thinking that 15 grains of lead makes the difference between "overkill" and "reasonable". The simple truth is that 180-grain bullet will kill a small deer every bit as well as a 165-grain bullet -- but not more "brutally". In fact, I've read several reports that suggest that a lighter bullet in the .300 Winchester Magnum will actually damage more meat.

I think you already have the perfect load with your 180-grain bullets. Don't mess with what works -- it is a noticeable step in the WRONG direction.

In British Columbia we have tiny island blacktails the size of a German Shepherd and gigantic moose, elk and grizzlies. The beauty of the .300 Winchester Magnum is that with a good 180-grain load you can shoot all of these animals without worry.

You've already got the load. Now just go hunting!
[Smile]

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.imrpowder.com they have a accurate powder Imr 7828 and loads listed there. I use the 165 in my 300wby and same powder. Great bullet for the 300s if you get good bullets that hold to geather and not cheap ones. [Eek!] I use the 165 Interbond.

one of us
Picture of 264winmag
posted Hide Post
My beat load is almost like Hillbilly's except I use 72gr.I also have good luck with the 165 speer grand-slam.Most of those NC whitetail are small enough to use as light as 125 noslers.Depends on where your hunting and how far your shots are.Good luck.

Posts: 56 | Location: parts unknown | Registered: 22 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RL-22 From 66.9 grains to 79.5 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are worried about too much horsepower for the smaller deer, instead of worrying about the bullet weight, why don't you just curtail your velocity a little.

XMR 5744 with 40 grains and a 180 grain bullet will give you a velocity of about 2500 fps if memory serves me correctly out of my 300 Winchester.

2.5 inches high a 100 yds, put you dead on at 200. 3.5 will put you dead on at 250. That should serve well, unless you are looking for longer range, and for longer range, keep it at higher velocities, because your impact velocity will be down to the ones I speak of at 200 yds.

Hope that might help a little. That is what I do if I haul my 300 out for these Antelope sized Blacktail Deer. Vension McNuggets. [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote