Find
Notify
Tools

Need help setting up new dies for first time
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I'm new to reloading and have only reloaded for my .470NE to date. I had a friend come over and set my my RCBS dies in my Rock Chucker Supreme. Now I would like to reload for my .270, .300 WM, and .375 H&H. I have all the needed components but my reloading friend will not be able to come to town for a while to help me get going. I have no idea how to do this. Is it something that could be explained here or should I wait until I get some hands on assistance?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The dies usually come with some pretty good instructions on how to set them up. If you follow those instructions carefully, you shouldn't have a problem. They are not difficult to set up and adjust. Be sure you have a set of calipers when setting up the bullet seating die. I start with the bullet seating die pretty high up and then lower it little by little and measure the Over All Length of the cartridge. If you need more help send me an e-mail.

Val

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS dies have very easy to learn instructions with them.Just follow the steps and look at the pics!

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Save your self a headache buy a good reloading manual like the one that Lyman puts out. You can learn a lot and they make excellent reference material. Adjusting dies is only part of reloading. After you have read the manual then you will know how to setup the dies weigh powder etc...

Good luck

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I was able to get it all going tonight and loaded some .270's. They look good and I'll test them with my chronograph in the morning. Getting it set up was not as difficult as I had expected. The only thing I was not sure about was the depth to seat the bullets. I measured and compared them with the length given in some of my reloading manuals and they came up just slightly shorter than the length given there. I hope that won't be a problem.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote