Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to reloading
 Login/Join

posted
Quick question. I'm new to reloading. I have a 7mm rem mag with dies and brass. My question is, should I start off with something other than a belted magnum or is it as good a round as any to start.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you have the brass and dies it is probably where you should start though I've found the 7 mag to be a bit quirky. I think that there is a good bit of bore diameter variation in 7mm's that account for it's quirkyness.
Specifically I've loaded for 3 different 7 Rem Mags and the max loads were several grains apart in the different rifles. There is also a good bit of variation in the Data from manual to manual. I think the best advice I can give you is to start slowly using the lowest powder charge listed in your manual.
It is a fine round and you can probably save a lot of money by reloading for it. You'll also probably get better accuracy too. Good Luck...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lg,

I'm with dj 100%. I've had more "quirkiness" in 7mm Mag. than any other cartridge I've reloaded for except the .22 Hornet. Loading manuals vary widely in charges and I'd also recommend starting low and working your way up slowly. I've a 7mm that gives all the commonly referred to "High Pressure" signs with loads well under maximum, and that with several different bullets.

As you set the Dies up for your cartidge & chamber, use a candle to soot the case necks (just hold the neck slightly off the flame for a couple of seconds and rotate until the case neck is black) and adjust the dies so the case is resized to the base of the neck/shoulder junction, you'll be able to see this easily. Before proceeding ensure this "sized" case fits in the chamber of your rifle.

In my not so inconsiderable expereince; I do NOT give the additional turns of the Die and bump the Shellholder as most Die instructions state. In my opinion this often leads to setting the case shoulder back too far.

If I might suggest a combination that has worked for me in the past would be initially loading a 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and use H-4831 for starters. A good combination thereof ought to give you a good idea of what your loads & rifle are capable of from an accuracy point of view.

I'd suggest two additional bits; a 7mm Rem. Mag. Lee Factroy Crimp die and a Lee Hand-Held Case Trimmer, both relatively inexppensive and they will help make good uniform loads right off the bat.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with the .338WM which is also a belted magnum.
I did not have any problem; I started with a slow powder (IMR 4831) and the lowest charge in the Horn. Manual (I was using Hornady bullets). I now reload 30-06 also and do not see any real difference in the procedure or difficulty.

One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
You might consider reloading for the .38 Special if you are just starting out. The straight wall case and low pressure is well... easy!

If you don't have a .38 Special revolver, now you got a great excuse to buy one! Wink

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cute young lady.

I agree about 7mm mags. I cured mine by rechambering to 7STW. Shot better, and added 240-250fps across the board.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input!!! For now I think I'll stick to light 7mm mag loads. I have too much brass and bullets to do otherwise. Not to mention, no real need for the 38. But now I have an excuse. Thanks to each of you for taking a few minutes to give me your opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi and welcome to this crazy hobby Smiler

Now be careful about under loading the 7Mag. You can get into big trouble if you use the wrong powder for this purpose, namely the slow burners. You can actually run into dangerous pressures with reduced loads with powders like IMR7828 and the like.
So follow the reputable reloading manuals closely. And when in doubt, come back here and ask. The only dumb question is the one that didn’t get asked.

Like everyone has said, 7 Mags chamber, throat and barrel dimensions can vary considerably.
So pick out the kind of load you want to shoot and work up to it slowly and carefully.
Have fun

Yep, very cute gal.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
To me, RL-22 seems to be a very good powder for the 7mm Rem. Mag. In addition, I use regular primers rather than magnum primers.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote