New
Find
Notify
Tools

proper dies for military 8mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am not new to reloading, but I have never reloading for any of my military 8mm rifles (M38 K'Kale's, 98/22's, 98/29's and M48's). I have seen numerous discussions about the proper headspace gauges to be used (20 degree 48 minute shoulder angle ), but no discussion of reloading dies that would match the older military chamber. I plan to fire-form new cases and neck size, but I know that eventually I will have to set the shoulders back a touch when the cases get hard to chamber. Does anyone know of a standard, off the shelf set of dies to match the old chamber? I have read that Lee will make a die to match fired brass that you send them; has anyone done that (recently)? I was thinking of sending them a fired case from each of my rifles and having a die made that would resize to the smallest chamber. Any suggestions?
Also, does anyone know when the change in chamber specifications was made? I have an idea that the military rifles were all the same, and that the change was made sometime for commercial offerings, but that is just a guess. TIA, Brady

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Brady,
I've loaded for the 8X57 since 1957. More than 20 mod 98s of one maufacturor or another is and has been included and a G43. The dies that were used were Lach Miller, RCBS, Lee and I think one other that I can,t remember. """All were off the shelf and could be adjusted to size adequately for whatever rifle being loaded for.""" The first brass that was used was resized military 30-06 stuff and at the time it wasn't important if it was lake city, frankfort "29" "43" "54"or whatever mixed. I didn't know about turning necks or have a great understanding about anealing.The spirits of the 8mmX57 must be kind as they have given me a fair measure of enjoyment over the years and very little trouble if any.Spend the $20.00 and start having some fun. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While 8x57 chambers, like those of any cartridge, can and do vary, I think you may be confusing this with the change in the bullet diameter from the "J" bullet (appx. .318") to the "S" bullet (appx. .323"). It is highly likely that all of your military barrels are sized .323".

As to the chambers/dies, you are on the right track. Never size more than the minimum necessary for the brass to rechamber. Any 8x57 FL die should be able to do this for you; just remember to adjust it in the press so that it has the proper distance between the bottom of the die and the shellholder to keep from setting the shoulder back unnecessarily.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've seen the references to a slight change in shoulder angle on 8x57 headspace gauges, but never heard of different loading dies being used. I think the difference is so small as to be unimportant.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote